Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

uprading computer info and system info

• Please log in to reply

illu_si_on

illu_si_on

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi guys!,

ok sorry this is going to be long!

i recently bought a dell dimension 3100 on a slight budget and i new from the beggining i would want to upgrade. i have never upgraded a pc before so i need a bit of help please :tazz:. (from reading other posts) i realise that my intergrated intel graphics wont play cod2 so i am going to buy a new graphics card. how do i tell what slot i need i herd of AGP or something. i am thinking of buying a GeForce FX 5500 is this good? my current system is running on 504mb of dual channel ddr2 ram, i am considering buying new ram any suggestions?

thanks guys please help:)

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Merry Christmas and welcome to GTG.

What does it say about that GeForce card? It should mention whether it's AGP or PCI. Most will get a AGP video card since that's what it's mainly there for :tazz: The AGP slot is smaller than the PCI slots. See here for an image.

The COD2 game should tell you what are the minimum requirements for playing the game. So read that and see if it's enough. If you want to buy more RAM, you have to be sure to get the correct type. According to the information you gave us, it should be this type. You can buy it direct from Crucial (they sell good quality RAM...) or look elsewhere for price comparison. Just make sure to get the correct type. If you want, double check to make sure it's the same type by looking inside your computer and comparing it to the image on that site.

illu_si_on

illu_si_on

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
on the dell website it mentions i have 2 PCI slots and 1 PCIE slot so i am going to go for the GeForce 6200 graphics card instead.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Your lucky that you have a pci express slot in that pc.

I found it also.

http://asia.cnet.com...9096664p,00.htm

You can get alot better card if you wanted since you have pci express. If you want the fastest for you budget then let me know what your budget is on a video card and ill help you.

illu_si_on

illu_si_on

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well im on a pritty tight budget of £40 and i have found the GeForce 6200 w/turbo cache. is this a good card?

thanks again