Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

aaaahh pullin out my hair... pls help.

• Please log in to reply

monoxide

monoxide

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm Dave. Thanx for the attention. I gotta 80 gb HDD that has a fresh copy of XP, k? I take it to the PC in which it lives because if I had tried to install windows on the PC in which it lives It'd just get to aboot "WINDOWS IS CHECKING TO SEE IF THERES ANY WAY IT CAN MAKE YOUR LIFE A MISERABLE LIVING HECK IN WHICH TO RESIDE" so the other PC runs right thru setup and I have more hair..... and I get:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK (AND THEIR MOTHER) AND PRESS ENTER

Now....... if I take it back to the original pc, it won't even axe for the CD, it'll just boot windows. I'm close to bald, I'm mad already and I cannot take it any more....

Any suggestions? ...Mad, like nutso, bonkers or cuckoo's nest... here's johnny!

thx.. Dave

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You've just discovered one of XP's BIG differences compared to earlier, more tolerant versions of Windows. You cannot install it on one PC, then put the drive in a different PC and expect it to work on that one. No way, Jose. And It's got nothing to do with the much loved Product Activation.
Even a corporate version of XP (which doesn't need activation) won't work if you shift the disk to a different PC.

You might get away with creating a disk-image and transferring the image to the other PC (but don't forget it's illegal to have two copies installed at the same time with a single-user licence), but even that is not guaranteed to work.