Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alrightie--windows 98 se and wireless

• Please log in to reply

tekietek

tekietek

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm currently in my uncle's attic trying to hook up his windows 98 SE machine to his newly setup wireless... As you can see, I am able to connect via my laptop--therefore the wireless is working fine. However, the Belkin USB adaptor for his computer is not connecting to the internet--it finds the signal, but I can't get online...

Is this because of the internet settings? what do i need to change in order for him to start surfing? I always thought this stuff was automatic, and I know 98's are old and mean--but could someone tell me how to fix this before my hands freeze off? hehe

The usb wireless thingie is working great--i found it in the device manager and the network area--I just can't get 'on line'

Thanks!
-Manda

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The wireless card would come with a separate program which basically does what Windows XP already knows about Wireless Networks (a technology which didn't exist when 98SE came out).

You would need tio set up any internet security code through that program and configure it in such a way so that it invokes a connection to the router as soon as Windows loads.

98SE is more than happy to use anything it can find that provides access to the internet - including wireless. The hard bit is getting the supplied software to talk to the router. :tazz:

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
is there any kind of malware blocker or anti-virus soft ware, anything like that, loaded on the computer? if there is may may be a issue with that software stopping you.

marny

marny

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Teki,

If you installed the wireless thing with a driver disk you should see a "Belkin wireless usb utility" icon on your desktop. Double click this and set the security to match the router security settings ( logon to the router as http://192.168.2.1/index.html) If it is a BELKIN router, you can see all things from there. You will not get into the internet (i.e. Page cannot be displayed) unless all the settings on your unc's machine match that of the wireless router. 98 needs you to tell it all this I'm afraid if you want a secure system. If its all automatic then I would bet that it would not be secure.

for instance a sample set of settings may be
Profile Name NAME
Network Name NAME
Access Point
open system -WEP 128 bit WEP key encryption
passphrase WHATEVER

Good luck ...Marny

Edited by marny, 02 January 2006 - 04:53 AM.