Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Bogs down Data Bus

• Please log in to reply

geekster

geekster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: My system once had an 80G and a 27G hard drive, with the 80G as primary.
One day my sytem locked up--no blue screen, just black screen.No response to keyboard entries.Could initially reboot to safe mode, but everything ran S_L_O_W
I disconnected 27 G, and everthing came up fine. Reconnect 27G, same problem reoccurs.
I connected the 27 gig thru a USB/EIDE external adapter, and same problem occurred, even though sytem was up and running normally when I connected the drive.As soon as I disconnected the drive, all systems normal.
Somehow, the 27 gig seems to be loading the data bus down.
Drive runs hotter than normal, stays busy.
If not for the important data on the drive, I would trash it.
I tried a ghost copy to another drive, and ghost said I had a corrupted boot sector, and I just did a sector-by-sector copy.Ghost completed without a hitch, but there was nothing on the target drive.I repeated the process to make sure--same result.
I tried a boot sector repair, a MBR repair to no avail.Retried ghost afterwards, no change.
Windows does not see this drive when connected, yet it bogs the whole system down.Really got me stumped. Any help will be much appreciated.

--Geekster

Advertisements