Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot recognize printer

• Please log in to reply

kaki

kaki

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have windows 98 (i think SE). I got a used printer hp 6127 which was on a netowrk earlier. Now I want that on a stand alone computer but somehow machine does not print any thing. I go to printer property to print test page, noting happens. I can see the printer icon on a system tray. but does not print any thing. I think it might be looking for a network? How do i check. please help

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you install any software for the printer

kaki

kaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, I have downloaded the driver from HP, installed it. To make sure, I went to 'add new hardware' and installed the printer. I can see printer on my systray. Still not working. I looked in to 'Device manager" hardware, it says its working fine. By chance I printed configuration page thru my printer, It has TCP/IP info where it has ip address, subnet mask and gateway starts with 172.16..... does this has any thing to do with printer looking for a network, or just ignore this.

Further the printer is on USB port, and printer property has set up look in to LPT1, do I need to change any thing there.
I have only one USB and cable modem is connected to that. HOw do i add USB hub to make all talk.

help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How is the printer connected to the PC

Have you got a link to the page where you downloaded the driver from

If you only have one USB port then get a powered USB 4 or 7 port hub, that plugs in to the PC port then everything plugs in to the hub

kaki

kaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I downloaded drive to my C drive.
I purchased a USB hub fro staple, . Hooked up cable modem, printer in down link and uplink to my computer's usb hub. It did not recognize hub. it comes as 'unknown device' in device manager. Staples says you don't need any driver for the hub. How do I make it recognize hub. (untill then either internet or printer only one item can be thru USB.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SYMPTOMS

When you plug a Universal Serial Bus (USB) device into the USB port on your computer, the device may not be detected by Microsoft Windows 98.

CAUSE

This behavior can occur if USB support is not enabled on your computer.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, check the status of the USB components in Device Manager. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click System.

3. Click the Device Manager tab.

4. Click the PLUS SIGN (+) beside Universal Serial Bus Controller to expand the branch.

If Universal Serial Bus Controller is not listed in Device Manager, USB support may not be enabled in your computer's BIOS. Contact your computer manufacturer for instructions on how to enable USB support on your computer.

5. Under Universal Serial Bus Controller, you should see the following components:

• PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
• USB Root Hub

If a problem exists with a component or device, the device is listed with a symbol indicating the nature of the problem.

A black exclamation point (!) on a yellow field indicates the device is in a problem state. A device in a problem state is not functioning. A problem code explaining the problem is displayed for the device.

A red "X" indicates a disabled device. A disabled device is a device that is physically present in the system and consuming resources, but does not have a protected-mode driver loaded.

A blue "i" on a white field indicates the resource settings for the device were manually selected. It does not indicate a problem state or disabled device.

MORE INFORMATION
For additional information, please see the following article(s) in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro...b/133240/EN-US/

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
this may sound realy odd but its happened to me before :) . when printing you will notice that the little printing icon shows up the in the right hand corner of the screen. click it and make sure that it does not say "paused" anywhere on the screen. if it does it is prosessing everything fine its just not printing because it things youve told it not too :) . its happend to me before and i just felt like an idiot :tazz:

kaki

kaki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I checked USB in device manager. It is there and it is clear. expanding USB give 2 lines.

intel 82371 AB/EB PCI to usb
USB root hub

I checked, I have windows 98 SE. Becuase the hub package has info that it works on 98SE and after.

Checked pinter icon, it is not paused.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Uninstall the printer drivers and software, check it is not shown in control panel, printers

This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Remove the hub and modem leads from the PC

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection (without an internet connection if applicable) from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

(Skip this if you do not connect to the internet with this PC) After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try connecting the hub and then the modem via the hub to see if it connects, then install the printer drivers

Usually the printer is not connected / powered on until the driver set up asks for the printer to be powered on