Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer wont boot

• Please log in to reply

cappsd

cappsd

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a HP Pavilion 8693C that will not boot up. When I push the power button the amber hard drive light lights up and a green CD rom drive lights up, the fan is going, but no sound from the hard drive. The CD drives also will not open. No action on moniter at all. Any ideas?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Any ideas?

It could be a host of things. Can you enter bios? Continuously hit the delete key, or the F1, F10, F12 keys while the computer is booting up to get into bios. If you can get into bios, look for a menu that shows PC Health. It may not be called that, but what we're looking for is your Power Supply voltage monitors. If you can, post the voltages, temps, or any other info on that bios screen.

cappsd

cappsd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
no response from any of the keys suggested

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

If there is nothing on the screen at all when you push the power button, no post, no HP invent splash screen then you are going to have to try another psu first. I am thinking its the psu because the cd won't open indicating that the 12v rail is not producing enough volts.

It could be other things but I would start with the psu, its possible to test if you have a digital volt meter and I can explain.

It would be best to swap in another psu if possible, that model hp will except a non HP psu, the only thing you have to watch is the dimension from front to back if the psu is to long in that dimension the cd drive will be in the way. But the psu could be somewhat longer than the original. You could also install a psu outside the case for testing purposes.

Rick

cappsd

cappsd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks, i will try to get my hands on a psu and give that a try. anything special i should know about swapping them out (the guts of the computer scare me to death!)?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It ain't do hard to do just work carefully, there is a airduct in the road but it easily snaps out. You will have to remove both case sides and the front cover because you have to loosen the screws that hold the cdrom inplace and slide it forward to remove the psu.

Then disconnect the power connectors from all the drives, then very carefully remove the 20pin connector that attaches to the motherbord. There are 3 or 4 screws that hold the psu in the case,remove them and slide the psu out.

The only other thing is be carefull of static electricity that builds up on your body and is harmfull to computer parts so touch the case to remove before touching anything inside. Don't work on a carpeted floor also helps.

As makai said it could be other things but I think its best to start with the psu if you can barrow one because latelyI have been seeing a lot of the hp power supplies fail when they are about 3 to 4 years old.

Rick