Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Change drive letter from E to C

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: :) :) :woot: Hello there. Thanks for reading my email.

I recently purchased a WD 160GB SATA drive and used the software that was included to XCOPY all my existing software from my old drive 60GB to my new high speed SATA drive. However, when I removed my old drive C and rebooted with the new harddrive it loads but I cannot run any programs. The programs are looking for drive C which does not exist anymore. Windows XP recognizes the new drive as DRV2_Vol1(E) drive E. How do I hack or edit my registry to recify this program? I tried using Manage to change the drive from E to C, but as you know you cannot change the active drive location or name. Please help me. I don't want to reinstall everything.

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
I could be wrong and you may be able to use a 3rd party software
However this is from microsoft.
You cannot change the drive letter of the system volume or boot volume