Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AWESOME COMPUTER! (BUT i have a a problem with my sound and 56k mo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ok heres what i got, i have this awesome new computer that i built with the help of a computer expert, we got it all together and it runs really fast and the GFX are awesome (radeon 9555). but any way i have a problem with the sound!, i downloaded the latest drivers for the chipset, and i plug my speakers into it and no sound comes out (yes everything is pugged in) so i looked at the audio devices in the control panel and it says that here is nothing just the modem line! so im not sure if getting a soundcard would help or not!??????? ``````2ND my modem: i installed my modem in the pci slot 2 i loaded all the drivers!, i went to make sure that it was working properly and it said it was, so i go to set up my dialup connection, i do all that and then press connect and yet nohting happens there is no dial tone or nothin and it says (was unable to connect) then another time an error popup came up and said that it may have been configured wrong or another application (orsomething) was using it and there was nothing that i can think of!!!! help help help SOS SOS SOS SOS help me please!!!!!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. You need to check the bios and make sure audio is enabled (sounds like you have on board sound, built into the motherboard). If you don't see the audio controller/sound card in device manager, this is probably why. As for the modem, it should be plug and play. Your bios MAY or may not have an option (it may be enabled by default and no selection possible). You could try removing and re-seating the modem card, maybe try another slot if this does not work.

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ok i bought a new sound card and yeah it was built in and im pretty sure the sound was on in the bios, as for the modem i had already taken it out and installed the drivers like 3 times, i also have tried different pci slots, i am hoping the sound card i got will work tho and ill tell you if it does thnx! (problem still not resolved)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Still waiting on your reply about the new sound card you purchased. Also, when you go into the DEVICE MANAGER (hold down the Windows key & hit the Pause/Break key), are there any items with yellow exclamation/question marks next to them?

Fenor

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
IM SRY FOR THE EXTREMLY LONG DELAY! nut i bought a new sound card SOUNDBLASTER and it still does not work! i am getting pretty mad at my computer! and the modem i have not tried ne thing so it still does not work i will go try what you said FENOR, ill brb take like 10 sec.

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
ok, no there were not any yellow exclamation points and acctually a screen poped up that said the system properties and i went to device manager from their and ddi the same thing and the same thing happened!

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
THIS IS WHAT MY COMPUTER SAYS WHEN I TRY TO PLAY SOMETHING OR TRY TO GO TO THE VOLUME CONTROLLS: cannot find sound device. >but i in the device manager it says that it is working properly.
~~~~~~
for the modem it says: Error 633: The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly. >and it was configured properly and what not and i closed all the applications yet it wont let me connect to the internet!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. In the new window that appears, double-click on SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVICES. Click on the AUDIO tab. What is listed in the dropdown box for DEFAULT DEVICE under the SOUND PLAYBACK heading?

Fenor

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
modem #5 line playback >>>>> it is the only thing there <<<<<

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, right-click MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click on the HARDWARE tab and then click the DEVICE MANAGER button. Click the '+' symbol next to sound, video & game controllers. Include everything that is listed there in your next post.

Fenor

Advertisements

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
OK, THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS!

-SOUND,VIDEO & GAME CONTROLERS
AUDIO CODECS
LEGACY AUDIO DRIVERS
LEGACY VIDEO CAPTURE
SOUNDBLASTER LIVE! 24-BIT
UNIMODEM HALF-DUPLEX AUDIO DEVICE
VIDEO CODECS

AND I CHECKED THEM ALL AND THEY SAY THEY ARE WORKING PROPERLY, STILL NOTHING ABOUT THE MODEM THO WAS WONREDING IF YOU KNEW N E THING ABOUT THAT?

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I NEED HELP AND NO ONE HAS REPLIED FOR SUM TIME NOW!!!!!!!

Leroy Lim

Leroy Lim

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
My friend be patient don't post so many posts in your own topic it will only make the staff work slower...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you use a modem (aka dialup conneciton) to access the Internet? If you don't, then I suggest you turn off your computer, remove the side panel (The panel you want to remove is the one on the left side of the case if you are looking directly at the front of it), and take out the modem card itself. Let me know if there is no PCI card for the modem, meaning it's built-in to the system. I have other things you can do if that is the case.

Fenor

the70sin2005

the70sin2005

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Do you use a modem (aka dialup conneciton) to access the Internet? If you don't, then I suggest you turn off your computer, remove the side panel (The panel you want to remove is the one on the left side of the case if you are looking directly at the front of it), and take out the modem card itself. Let me know if there is no PCI card for the modem, meaning it's built-in to the system. I have other things you can do if that is the case.

Fenor

ok, YEAH I USE A 56KBS DIALUP MODEM~ AND IT WILL NOT LET ME CONNECT, ALSO I KNOW MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS SO YOU DONT EXACTLY HAVE TO TREAT ME LIKE A LIL' KID! THNK' YOU!