Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extra hard drive as back up, storage or both?

• Please log in to reply

oliviaorange

oliviaorange

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a Sony Vaio laptop (Windows XP) with a total memory (between the C and D drive) of about 28 GB. I am currently using about 80% of the space (and growing). I recently got a 250 GB external hard drive. I want to know if I can use this external drive both for backing up data files and also storing large files such as music and programs to free up space on the C drive or will accessing this external drive on a regular basis (to play music or run a program) compromise my backed up files? I know that choosing which files to back up, how often to back up and such is an individual choice, but I'm looking for some tips on navigating both storage and backup.

Thank you and please let me know if you need more specifics (and sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge about computers).

-Laura

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello Laura,

Yes, you can use the external disc for backing up data and storing your music files. However, it's not advisable to install/run programs from that disc. It can be done, since it will work just like another hard drive, but some programs may not like it since it's running over usb. Did you plan on always leaving the external drive connected to the laptop? The reason I ask, is because if you do install programs on the external, and there are calls to those programs and the external is not connected, you may get errors. On the other hand, in case I misunderstood your post, if you're just wondering if you can "store" programs on the external, then the answer is yes.

oliviaorange

oliviaorange

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I will have the external hard drive connected most all the time (I'm a student and mostly use my computer in my room not on the go or in the classroom). It sounds like putting programs on there would really not be a good idea but I've already freed up over 7 GB of space by putting my music on there. Thanks for your help and soon I'll get starting in on the cd-rom which was included to help me back up data.