I switched the cables at the motherboard. At 1st I ran just the HD cable (in the "other" socket) and it worked good. I then shutdown and added the DVDrw and CDrw cable and it ran ok. I did not yet consider the problem resolved since it is an intermitted problem. It is not resolved.
Today it went back into the problem mode where the red light stays bright for about 5-20 seconds then the HD proceeds and the light flashes as normal. After about 15 minutes of that happening over and over, it's ok as I type this. This overall scenario is one of the common ones. Sometimes it blue-screens, sometimes it has the disc error in the event log but doesn't crash.
I should mention that I moved in June and I think that's when the problem started. I was on Cablevision for internet with a "shark fin" cable modem. The current service is Comcast cable and they said they don't support that modem so I am renting theirs. They installed the modem and such when I wasn't home. Since then, when I boot, the 1st thing I see is a messaged something like:
Intel Boot Agent.................... (listed twice I think)
.............MAC ADDRESS..........DHCP / <<(that line spins around in a circle.)
Eventually it would proceed to boot but I hit escape to end the spinning thing and boot. It then says "exiting Intel Boot agent" and usually boots (or says NTLDR not found when it's really
I notice that DHCP is checked and "running" in the "services" tab in the msconfig utility. However, I don't see that phrase in either task manager program I'm using, nor in the registry nor as a partial file name on the HD.
In addition to the Event 51 warning "Source –Disk “An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation,”" the event log also lists an "error" and a "warning" related to "Dhcp" every few minutes. Here are those texts:
Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000CF1AE2C7E. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 192.168.100.3 on the Network Card with network address 000CF1AE2C7E.
The IP address lease 192.168.100.3 for the Network Card with network address 000CF1AE2C7E has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.100.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).
I also get the following in the event log every few minutes:
The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.
I also get:
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.
I tried unchecking the dhcp in the "services" tab in the msconfig utility and rebooting. The spinning thing was still there during the beginning of the boot. The "network" would not work alt all so I re-checked it.
I'd really appreciate any ideas on this mystery network boot thing as well as the HD problem. Maybe I should try unplugging the DVD / CD cable again? Maybe a conflict amonst the 2 ide channels? Update
: I'm editing this after a few days of research. I learned that ATAPI is CD\DVD type drives (pardon my ignorance) which maked the above code 9 error interesting since I never have any CDs in my 2 ATAPI drives during these problems. Seems that a symptom of the overall problem is the system being confused over which drive needs to take action. The main problem seems to be involving the Event 51. Source –Disk “An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.” The networking related logs are probably showing that a network-related request was made that happened to be the trigger of the disk error which is likely the real problem. I googled the event 51 text and read a very long and interesting thread in another group about how the combination of SP2, certain hardware, drivers, and settings can lead to this problem. The thread is very long and over a year in span. http://www.hardwarea...ic/12946/?o=180
One post says my drives/channels should all be in DMA mode and I notice my HD is running in PIO even though it is set to use DMA "if available." The CD/DVD channnel both show they are running in Ultra DMA mode 2. So I pulled the CD/DVD cable again. Now the HD is running in DMA mode and the disk errors are gone. The solution for many was to add a PCI card controller for the HD which may be the way I end up going............Update
: All malware attack problems are gone. The attack was 2 weeks ago and (I believe) the HD problems have been around since I upgraded to sp2 about a year ago. The missing boot files / missing HD problems have not occured in some time.
The HD hang and HD running in PIO I/O UDMA5 mode problems remain. I keep researching and have learned that there are "normal" ide 80 wire (40 pin) cables and "fast" ones (133.) I've ordered one since I don't know what I have.
Edited by jjsant, 07 January 2006 - 02:16 PM.