Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new Software

• Please log in to reply

shel2004

shel2004

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I am new to computers so excuse me if this sounds like a trivial question. I just bought a digital camera. When I went to install the software it said the following.

Your computers characteristics are Windows 98(4.10.1998)
Internet Explorer 6.0
Display settings:1024*768*16
Photo Tags has the following minimun requirements:
Windows 98 SP1
Internet Explorer: 0.00
Display settings: 800*600*8
So what does all that mean? What should I do now and am I stuck with a piece of software that will never be able to be installed on my computer? Any help/answer to this question would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then Windows Update, if there are a lot of them, (you only need the critical ones), then retry installing the camera software after updating if it does not run.

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I tried doing this but when I went to install again I am getting the same message.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did Update have any updates

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

YOUR SETUP

Internet Explorer 6.0
Display settings:1024*768*16

PHOTOTAGS REQUIREMENTS

Photo Tags has the following minimun requirements:
Windows 98 SP1
Internet Explorer: 0.00
Display settings: 800*600*8

So what does all that mean? What should I do now and am I stuck with a piece of software that will never be able to be installed on my computer? Any help/answer to this question would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy:

The message simply looks like a confirmation of your system and the programs minimum requirements and, it appears your system meets those requirements.. Have you just tried continuing on with the installation??

Or, try reducing your screen reolution and color settings down to what Phototags wants!!

Murray

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
After I got that mesage I clicked cancel and the wizard install shield came and said it was going to install my camera It then comes up with a list of three options modify repair and remove. Modify was highlighted so I went on to next. At the end It said it was succesfully installed (Program Files) but I can't find it. How do I scale down to what photo tags requirements are and will that do anything to the computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Murray was on the mark with it just showing you what the requirements are and if you have updated Windows, insert the disc, choose remove, then run maintenance, then re-install

During the install, note the name of the folder program files\ camera or whatever

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Just got done running the maintenance program which by the way I didn't know about. Thank you. It asked me if I wanted to convert my drive C to FAT 32. I clicked yes but then it said that it had found a hibernate file (suspend to disk). Should I go ahead and do this. I wasn't sure if that would affect my computer or if would help in the installation of the software.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It won't hurt to convert and may actually help in other areas as well..

Murray

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should not be necessary (but no harm done :) :woot: :P Just saw Murray's post :tazz: :) )

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection (without an internet connection if applicable) from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

(Skip this if you do not connect to the internet with this PC) After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
:tazz: I tried resetting the settings. Didn't work (I also tried converting the drive but it said FAT 32 was not compatible with NOrton Antivirus.) I tried the tune up 2006 but it says there is not enough disk space. AAAH!!! I think this computer needs a bath in the river! No I appreciate all your help. Sorry to be such a pest.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run this though maintenance should have cleared whatever it could from the drive

Double click my computer then right click C Hard drive, click properties, click disc clean up then post the used and free space figures

This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When Windows has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start, programmes accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then run disc defragmenter from system tools