Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shut down, now it won't reboot!

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok, make sure you ground your self by touching the case to remove static electricity from your body before touch anything inside.

Remove one stick of ram and try and boot, if nogo remove the other stick and put the first one back in.

What you are trying to is determine if there is a bad stick of ram causing the freeze.

Advertisements

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
We tried it with one new stick and it takes us to the screen with the intel logo and you can push tab or delete and it freezes there. Other wise it doesn't work. We also tried unplugging everything and plugging it all in one at a time, incase something else wasn't working and preventing the rest of the computer, and that didn't help.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Do you mean you tried new ram and still the same problem?

Try disconnecting all the drives both ide cables and power cables, remove all cards, the idea here is just to get into bios without a freeze. At this point there should only be connected

video card & monitor
mouse
keyboard
1 stick of ram

Does it still freeze?

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
leave fans plugged in? and not unplugged from the mother board, just the units right?

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
nope doesn't work, we had it so only the mouse, keyboard, one stick of ram, video card and monitor were plugged in

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You can disconnect case fans only.

DO NOT disconnect the cpu fan

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
we tried it again and it got us to the intel screen where you press tab or del and it froze again, dunno what is wrong with this computer.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Of that leaves the cpu, motherboard, or power supply as the problem (assuming you tried different ram please clarify)

You have a very good psu but they can go bad, do you have another you can swap in to try.

If not try and get into bios again and list the voltages of the +3.3, +5V and +12v

I am trying to see if they deviate from the first set of voltages you posted witch would indicate a bad psu

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
volts:
+3.3 is at now 3.23
+5 is at now 4.89
+12 is at now 11.61

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well those voltages are within spec, the 12V is a little low so you should try another psu to be sure. Please understand if these voltages fall below plus or minus 5% of there respective voltage even for a few seconds it can cause a freeze.

Its very hard at this point to pin point the problem without trying known working parts, I would first try the psu if that does not fix it, it would have to be either the motherboard or cpu so the next step would be to try another cpu.

I understand most of us don't have the luxury of having these parts laying around but there ain't much else I can tell you to try.

Sorry

Rick

Advertisements

ComputerAngel18

ComputerAngel18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for all your help, we'll have to see if we can get some new parts to try out on it. I'll update as soon as we figure something out.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome and please keep me posted,

I see your from eastern pa, I live 2 minutes from Kneobles amusement park in central pa, small world ain't it, I was also helping someone from State College today, didn,t even realize it untill he seen the southern columbia plug in my signature 2 neighbors in one day!

Its been nice helping you and good luck

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Oh yea one other thing you have relatively new parts when you determine witch of the 3 it is,,,,

the Antec psu has a 2 year warrenty
the Abit board a 3 year ( I luv abit for that among other things)
ain't sure about the intel cpu I prefer amd