Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Mayhem

• Please log in to reply

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi. The laptop I am using is brand new. I received it in November. It came with a free wireless modem, but it seems that every single area in my house is a "dead spot" except for one very small, sometimes shifting, and somewhat inconvenient square-foot area. I've never tried to take it anywhere outside of my house, so I don't know if it works better in other areas.

Recently I went to the Malware section of Geeks to Go for different issues. I mentioned my problem with the wireless broadband there and here is what he wrote in response:

"Hi David, you should ask any other questions (not related to malware) in the proper forum next time. But to answer your wireless question quickly, it can be due to many reasons. Is there any interference nearby? Any walls in between? Have you tried changing the wireless channel to another one like 6 or 11? If those suggestions doesn't help, ask in the appropriate forum for more assistance. Or wait until we are done (maybe it's spyware related? who knows...)"

Now, to save some time and answer HIS questions, what kind of interference might you mean? The area that it works is near a TV, DVD player, and stereo. Every other area may or may not have interference, but I get no bars and no availible service. The opne area where it does works gets anywhere from 2 to 0 bars.

Since I'm in my house, there are walls. I don't know what the wireless channel is or where I can change them.

Thank you. The Malware section helped me out splendidly. I appreciate all of the help you guys can provide.

Regards,
David

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
interference means electromagentic interference from other devices like monitors, microwaves, wireless phones, etc. other routers

Wireless channels are set by the wireless utility that came with the wireless card--usually resides in the system tray by the clock

You need to set the channel in your router (you didn't mention this) then match it with the wireless card in your pc

Is this an internal wireless device in the laptop (not a plug in card). You failed to mention the laptop model, the card, the router--all of which would be needed to give more user specific directions.

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay. I'm new to this stuff and I'm sorry for the confusion with the second posting. I still don't know how that happened.

There is no interference that I know of. We do have a microwave and a cordless phone, but it's not near the places we've tried to get the computer going.

My wireless device is a plug in. My laptop is Inspiron 1200. I don't know how to find out the router stuff, but I connect through Linskys and according to GeoBytes, my IP address is 207.200.116.199, which is weird. It says I'm in California even thought I'm in Colorado. Does that help?

You said, "You need to set the channel in your router (you didn't mention this) then match it with the wireless card in your pc." How would I do this exactly?

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I connect through Linskys and according to GeoBytes, my IP address is 207.200.116.199, which is weird. It says I'm in California even thought I'm in Colorado. Does that help?

that is most likly the proxy server of your isp. proxy servers (like the names implies) are servers that act like and agent to the outside world. usaly ip traces try to aviod taking the proxy servers ip but somtimes they still come up. This is Most likly the server you connect to when ever you connect to the internet.

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ah. Okay, thanks.

How do I find the info you need then?

David

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
help people to help you

linksys makes 30+ different routers, and a plug-in wireless card is not enough info

give makes and model numbers

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I'm trying to help you help me. But I don't know all the stuff you want. I think the wireless info you wanted is: Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN PC. As far as what router, I still don't know how to find that. Please explain it to me. Have patience with me. I'm a quick learner and all that, but I am not as computer literate as your average geekstogo customer, who seem to know more than most people I've met about this stuff.

David

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
hi reynolds,

As per your 1st post you have mentioned that you have a wireless modem.If so then that is the wireless device which provides you with the wireless signal.Please mention the brand name of the wireless modem to assist you further.

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The Wireless modem brand name is Dell Wireless WLAN 1350 WLAN PC.

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I don't understand what happened here. Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to find the router information so that I can get help? I'm asking you for help and you're telling me to give you the same stuff I'm asking for.

Please. Tell me what you still need and how I can get that to you so you cann help me figure out my problem.

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:tazz:

I'd like to close this topic, but I don't know how.