Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Manually removing Acrobat 7 Pro

• Please log in to reply

drjay11

drjay11

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Does anyone know how to manually remove all elements of Acrobat 7 Pro? It doesn't show up as a choice for me under Control Panel removal of programs. Everytime a try to reinstall, I get a message similar to : "can't find source" or something like that....I just want to remove ALL elements (including registry references) to acrobat 7 pro and start from scratch. HELP! Thanks,

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up then remove ticks from adobe entries, click apply and reboot

Click start then search, include hidden and system files, look for adobe, delete the adobe 7 entries

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection (without an internet connection if applicable) from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

(Skip this if you do not connect to the internet with this PC) After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

drjay11

drjay11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks! I have other Adobe applications like Photoshop and Pagemaker. Will this method havae any effect on these other applications?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
They should be fairly easy to spot

Set a system restore point first and only send them as far as the recycle bin, reboot the PC and check it runs OK, if Adobe moans then you can restore the files from the recycle bin to their original location

Do you have access to the installation software for the other Adobe products

drjay11

drjay11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
How is a "registry clean up" done?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you got the trial of Tune Up, click clean up and repair to run disc and registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag

In case you were asking what does it do, it looks for registry keys which apply to programmes which are no longer present, it removes those to leave the registry comprised only of the keys for installed software

drjay11

drjay11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help but after doing all the tune up work, etc, I tried to reinstall and got the Windows installer error message, "The installation source for this product is not available...verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

The problem seems to have started when I added a new drive which became a new C: drive.....when I started to use acrobat 7 from the new c: drive, I believe acrobat sensed a change in configuration and wouldn't work....it's never showed up in the control panel "add/remove programs" list so I've been trying to manually get rid of all traces to start over but I still seem to get that same message quoted above when I try to re-install....
HELP! Thanks,
drjay

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you look in program files then click adobe, do you have seperate folders for your adobe programs, if so, delete the adobe 7.0 folder

drjay11

drjay11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I tried to delete the acrobat 7 folder but I get an "error deleting file" message :" unable to delete AcroIEhelper.dll......It is used by another program...close any programs and try again yet I don't see any other Adobe program running when I look through the task manager..The ActiveX folder still remains to with these files left in it and unable to delete (AcroIEHelper.dll, AcroPDF.dll, GbDetect.dll, and pdfshell.dll).
Help--Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Move On Boot

http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

When you right click any file, you now have the option to delete file(s) on next boot, click this and you will get a request success screen, reboot whenever you want and you will not see the file(s) again, so be careful to select only files you do not need

Advertisements

drjay11

drjay11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks but I'm still stuck. I was able to remove those stubborn left over files but when I tried to re-install, I got a Windows Installer error: "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

What does this mean? I should mention that I still see acrobat 7 on an "F:" drive (which was the original site of installation before I installed a new "C:" drive and things were copied onto the new C: from the old C: (now the "F:) drive. Do I need to get rid of the acrobat 7 items in the F: drive? What's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks for your time, help, and patience.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After you download it, probably best to save it to a folder in my documents if you are having trouble installing it, where does it say it will install it to, C:Windows\programfiles\ or somewhere else

Install it to the same drive windows is on, you click browse if the install to location is any different

drjay11

drjay11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Still no good; I get the same message that I mention above in post #11. I even tried to install the earlier version Acrobat 6 after I thought I wiped out everything related to Acrobat 7 but after the installation starts, it mentions that a "later version is already installed" and installation ceases.
Somehow, there's still some residual part of acrobat 7 that I'm not able to get rid of! Any comments?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type regedit then press enter

Click + next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then click + next to software then + next to adobe, click the words adobe reader, click delete and confirm

Repat this with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Reboot and run tune up disc clean up and then registry clean up, try to install adobe reader

drjay11

drjay11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Are you sure about "Acrobat Reader?" I'm trying to get rid of Acrobat 7.0 not the reader.
In the registry, under Adobe, I show this branch :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\PDFMaker with a 7.0 directory under that and I also have HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Distiller with a 7.0 under that and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Elements with a 7.0 under that and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat PDFMaker with 7.0 under that and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat with a 7.0 directory under that.

Which do I delete? Shouldn't the TUNE UP 2006 have taken care of these already in previoius steps?
Thank you....