Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe freezes

• Please log in to reply

Amato

Amato

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have run all programs found on your Malware help page as a precaution and I still have my problem. Not sure if this is due to malicious code or if there is a problem with my installation of Windows XP.

XP Home w/ SP2 installed on new HD about 3 1/2 months ago. Recently, a problem has developed with my explorer.exe file. When I try to open the "Mv Documents" folder, my CPU usage spikes at 100% and stays there. The My Doc's window will not close by any means. The only way to close it is to CTRL+ALT+DEL and end task exlporer.exe and then restart it again after waiting about 10-15 seconds. I had not recently installed any new programs, nor added anything to this folder before the problem started. This same issue occurred with my last install about 5 months ago and the only way I could fix it was to wipe the HD and reinstall everything (very time consuming). Any ideas would be appreciated. HijackThis results posted below.

Thanks,

Amatoman

Hijackthis log is clean, moving this thread to the XP section.

Log removed.

Edited by OwNt, 26 December 2005 - 02:44 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how many files are in MY DOCUMENTS....open MY COMPUTER< navigate to c:\Documents and Settings\username\mydocuments, right click, chose properties.

how many files/folders
how large (in megabytes)

can you open it from here?

Amato

Amato

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I can open it with no problem if I navigate to the directory through My Computer. There are about 70 Gig's in this directory under 10 sub-folders. The largest of which is the My Music folder which stores all my MP3's. Total of about 4,000 files. Still locks up though if I try to navigate directly to My Documents from the Start button.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
as an experiment, move the mp3s out of there to a temporary folder.

problem repeat?

Amato

Amato

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
With MP3's out of folder and in a temporary folder under c: the problem disappeared! Checked the new music folder and it worked fine as well.

Does this mean there is an upper limit to the size or number of files in a directory or sub-directory?

Interesting that this fixes problem and also that it did not come on slowly but all at once!