Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Toshiba Laptop A35-S159 spontaneously powers off

• Please log in to reply

Danada

Danada

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Toshiba A35-S159 that is doing the same thing, powering off without warning. I can make it crash by running a Norton AV's "Full System Check" or by running Spybot. I always crashes with Spybot and NAV. With Spybot it crashes at different points. Adaware doesn't seem to make it crash, although it happened once running that; I just ran it again, and it finished its check. It also crashes unpredictably at other times-- like in the middle of when I first tried to post here a few minutes ago!! aaarrgggg

I measured temp using MobileMeter, and the temp never gets above the 40s when it croaks, so I don't think that is the problem--at least not the temperature that MobMeter is measuring. I have even put my laptop in the fridge for 30 minutes, and then started it up (on AC), run NAV Full Sys Check, and it does the same poweroff. Spybot never finishes its run, but powers off on different checks (I've video taped the bottom line to verify that).

By the way, after it powers off, when I power it back up, it comes up, presents the first boot sequence routine (the screen that tells you, "Push [F2] for Setup . . .", etc.), and then goes to a totally black screen and stays there. The laptop cannot be powered off using the button. I have to remove the AC cord and battery, and only then does it completely boot.

I updated to the BIOS 1.80 from Toshiba successfully--or at least I think I did. However, I may not have and here is why I say that: After the 9th program finishes its final validation step of the BIOS change process, the laptop powers off spontaneously. And I don't know if that is normal-- is it? I'd think not; you'd think it would say, "You have successfully installed BIOS 1.80," or something like that.

Suggestions? Is someone going to tell me to remove dustbunnies from inside? That would mean that the suggestor doesn't think MobileMeter is measuring temp correctly, wouldn't it? I'm thinking it is the CPU or motherboard. The unit is off warranty (bought in late 2003), so I don't think it is worth it to replace the motherboard.

Help!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I have even put my laptop in the fridge for 30 minutes, and then started it up (on AC)

Don't do this... unless you actually "want" to kill your laptop! One word... Condensation!

A couple of questions here...

Did you update the bios before you started having these crashes? Also, why did you update the bios?

Running Spybot on a laptop cause the CPU to run at full bore... which means, your processor will step up to whatever it's rated at. This means that a lot of heat is being generated by the CPU. When I run Spybot on my Thinkpad, mobilemeter reports about 68 degrees.... 28 degrees up from the normal temp of ~40 degrees.

Seriously, I think you have a temp problem. What is the normal operating temp of the laptop? And what is the increase in temp when you run Spybot? If there is no increase... or very little, then I'm going to guess your temp sensor is out.

Is someone going to tell me to remove dustbunnies from inside?

Yes, I am. Purchase a can of compressed air and "gently" blow out all the vents... including the exhaust vent of the CPU fan.

Edited by makai, 26 December 2005 - 10:14 PM.