Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I download SNES and NES games to my PSP?

• Please log in to reply

leafskid13

leafskid13

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Topic is all I need to know. I appreciate any help thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As far as i know you cant because the buggers at sony released a formware update to enable lots of nice features but also made it so you cant run 3rd party apps on your PSP.

LinkmasterSon

LinkmasterSon

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello Leafskid13!

First of all Sony itself has not developed a functional emulator for the PSP yet. So, all the emulators you find on google or whatever will be homebrew; meaning a PSP owner coded the program; Also, all the homebrew emulators you find will not have sound. Here is how to get one on your PSP although I think it isn't worth getting until Sony comes out with one which they probably won't because there are disclaimers on emulators as shown here: Basically its saying you must own the system and game in order to download roms FOR BACK-UP PURPOSES. Be advised some sites will make you agree to these terms before accessing these roms. All in all its illegal to copy licensed roms.
Hacking your PSP leaves you, the owner and/or user, liable for any damages done to unit. Hack at your own risk. Here is how to get the ROM on your PSP though:

First you need to connect your PSP to your PC with a USB cable made specifically for PSP (found at Wal-Mart for about $5). Go to Settings --> USB Connection. Now you should have a removable disk drive added on to your My Computer window.
Go online and find a Emulator for PSP (Google it). Each game system (SNES, NES, SEGA, etc.) has there own emulator. Download file to Desktop (if .zip file, extract to Desktop after download).
Download the SEI PSP Tool (Again, Google it) to Desktop and extract to Desktop.
Now open SEI PSP Tool folder --> SEI PSP Tool. You basically have 3 or 4 things to do here.
In the "Name" box type the name of the system emulator (i.e. if i have SNES emulator type SNES). In the "PHP" box, select the [...] box and find the EBOOT.php file you extracted from Step 2 (The folder should be on Desktop if you extracted to there). In the "drive" box select the drive the PSP is connected to (by default it should already be selected). Now *check* the box that says "Hide Corrupt Data Icon". Now click "Generate".
By this point the SEI Tool should have created a "GAME" folder and in the "GAME" folder should be *two* folders. The "emulatorname" and "emulatorname%" (Note: emulatorname is what you put in the "Name" box in SEI Tool).
Now look for game roms (i.e. if you have a SNES emulator, go to Google and put "SNES roms". There are tons of sites for this. (www.romnation.net has a good collection).
Download and extract roms to desktop. (After extraction put roms into any folder for easy access and later use).
Now transfer roms to "emulatorname" folder (in step 6), NOT "emulatorname%" folder.
Now select the "Back" button (usually circle) on PSP. Go to Game --> Memory Stick --> "Emulatorname"
[/color]