Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Which is Safer? FireFox or Opera

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hey,
i have been thinking of installing a new browser. After spyware took over my computer and firefox forcing me to remove it. However that is over with :tazz:
Now on to the next thing, i wanted to place a browser on my computer, aside from IE as it's to widly known and feel that it's not as safe. So i have this question to ask which browser is safer Firefox or Opera.
Isn't Opera a newer browser therefor there will be many less people on it?
thanx
James

Advertisements

ADNoland

ADNoland

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Why not try them both out and give them both a feel? I'd say it's mostly a matter of personal preference and how many people are using it doesn't really matter. I've looked into both browsers and have seen pluses and minuses and everyone has their own opinion. One may be flawed in one way that the other isn't and vice versa.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Opera is actually the most secure browser. But that doesn't mean you won't get hit by spyware or stop phishing sites from scamming you, or any other thing that makes the internet unsafe. People get malware mostly from visiting questionable sites while using IE. Also from PP transfers.

What it comes down to is the habits of the user. Personally, I like firefox. I don't like the interface of Opera.

Go to Secunia and read about the security issues of all the browsers. Just click on the respective brower links in the upper right of the Secunia webpage.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Firefox can also be secured up the kazbaa with additional plugins and extensions, you would be surprised how a simple java script blocker improves security.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Either one is really a good choice. :tazz:

FireFox's popularity may eventually work against it, but the latest rumor is that Microsoft may be trying to aquire Opera. :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ya i was thinking the same as it is becoming more and more well known and used by all.

roguetrader

roguetrader

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Either one is really a good choice. :tazz:

FireFox's popularity may eventually work against it, but the latest rumor is that Microsoft may be trying to aquire Opera. :)

That rumour has been circulating for quite some time now, would make sense for microsoft, will be interesting to see what happens. I use Opera and like it a lot, so I would prefer they didn't. :)

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
having both doesn't hurt you and is not a bad idea. There is no "the" most secure browser.

Dodevu

Dodevu

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well obviously them 2 browsers are better then IE, but I would go for FireFox.

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
The novelty of any program deosn't necessarily determine the number of people that will be on it. I personally use Opera on my system because it has fewer security holes than IE7 or Firefox, although there are some sites you will need to use IE7 for.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
And you dug up a 2 year old thread for that?

vorybory

vorybory

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
:)