Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0x000000ED : UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hey Trusted Techs :)

I have a friends PC which has just started giving BSOD 0x000000ED (UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME) every time he starts it (any option chosen gives this e.g. Normal Mode, Safe Mode, Last Known Good etc.).

The PC is a 1 year old Dell and no new hardware has been installed recently. It was working fine yesterday and the only thing to happen to the PC today was that a plug n play PSP was plugged in. Probably not related, but thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, Dell diagnostic software says the HD is ok and doesn't report anything else on its very long diagnostic checks.

I've read all the MS support articles on why this code could happen and I don't think most apply - we haven't just upgraded or installed the OS, the HD hasn't been changed and the cabling is as was provided by Dell. Any idea why this could suddenly happen?

I just wanted your advice - I plan to proceed with a Recovery Console boot and chkdsk /r (or should that be /x /r ?). If that doesn't work I was gonna do a fixboot. The Dell came with a Windows XP recovery CD (not a microsoft one with logo, but a Dell CD that says XP recovery on it. Hopefully that CD does contain the recovery console. If not, can I download it as a bootable CD or get it from anywhere else (or could I use my own XP Home CD to boot from?).

Cheers for any advice :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
chkdsk /r is the preferred option

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi gerry, thanks for the reply.

chkdsk /r worked great :tazz: It went very slow for about 2 hours (and at one point got to 75% before restarting at 50% :)), but eventually finished saying it had fixed some stuff.

Windows XP now boots fine :) .