Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware in the new year

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thought i would start a little techie discussion thread, and this should be good considering some of the really cool stuff coming out next year.

Phsyx cards, DX10 gfx cards, new use of flash memory to boost speed(really like that robson and superfetch tech), there is the reducing in price of dual core cpus, XDR memory, 65nm processors, Vista coming, the greater proliferation of HD gfx technology(which rocks if you allready have HD tv and acoutriments). Blu-ray and HD dvd coming and the possible emergence of the next generation of internet technology here and there. And the oh so cool sounding holographic memory technology emerging into the mainstream.

So what are you guys excited about and allready adding to next years christmas list?

Edited by warriorscot, 26 December 2005 - 06:46 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
By next christmas I will have a dual core for shure. I want dual core bad and im probably going to start saving up for it. Games coming out are already starting to take advantage of dual core technology. The first I have seen for pc is the peter jacksons king kong game. When you turn that option on it allows the second core to take the ai "artificial inteligence" processes. The ai would have its own core which I think is a great idea and it will smooth up games like that with alot of ai physics going on.

Edited by jrm20, 26 December 2005 - 08:11 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah ive started saving for one, probably wont have enough money and have to spend some of my rather tiny pathetic amount of student loan([bleep] income assessed loans) CoD2 uses the extra core just for that lovely smoke(i only got round to finishing cod2 today ive been playing it in half hour seesions since i got it).

I was thinking of a new gfx card but ill wait for the DX10 cards i think, R600 from ATi or the g80 from nvidia well have to see whats better ATI are releasing the last of the uber DX9 cards next month as far as i have heard wonder how much it will cost. Also shader model 4 is on the way and a whole new way of rendering gfx.

And i just want holographic memory cause its so friggin cool, as far as i know the rumours are going AMD are skipping straight past a ronson like flash memory booster to go to a holographic memory,

Superfetch is going to be well good, the robson prototype laptops can load programs in tenth of the times so where it took 5 seconds to load adobe acrobat it now takes half a second. Imagine what that would do to games.

I really hope they integrate physx card and gfx cards, although we may see the end of the gfx card as there is going to be the release of cards with a GPU socket next year.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
sounds cool I cant wait to see what happens between now and a couple years.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its gonna be crazy alot of the stuff you see in films like minority report and i, robot will actually be real things you can buy from the shops scary how fast it advances these days.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I suppose I just live in hope that the things that blind people can use on computers will become more mainstream, I hate typing, moving the mouse, looking at the screen, I just want to be able to talk to my computer and it to answer me back. Oh, I would still have a screen for when I wanted to look at it. Funny, you would think that it would be something Microsoft would be thinking about but...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im sure they are but voice analysis is quite difficult requires alot of processing power and more advanced AI than we can yet create.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
You basically said it all for me. My most excited though, is DX10 Cards, and cards stronger than X1900 XTX from nVidia. DOWN WITH ATI! lol just kiddin, but i do love nVidia.

On a more personal note, I hate the I-robot movie. It had almost nothing to do with the book and it was pointless and stupid, bc I read the short stories.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If they release something it wont last long this is the second generation where ATI have beaten Nvidia people will eventually get the point and switch to ATI, ATI cards are techologically far superior to Nvidia in terms of image quality and colour reproduction, just no one ever notices it they just look at raw fps and thats a near meaingless figure alot of the time.

I think robots arent going to be like i robot in nature at least not for a while the biggest robotics advances are going to be in the nano scale, its actually an exciting field combined with things like stem cell organ and tissue regeneration then we could see a practical technology capable of indefinatley supporting a human life withing our lifetimes.

MurderousMidget

MurderousMidget

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
yay for price drop of dual core....im hoping in not too long i will have enough money to do a pcix change over and go dualcore and all that fun stuff.....

mainly im looking forward to price drops cause im so poor/cheap im always ten steps behind

though its not hardware im most excited about elder scrolls 4 holy crap that looks awesome