Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restart loop: on,off,on,off etc.

• Please log in to reply

makihara

makihara

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hello

I've had many devices this christmas for my computer (mostly USB).
I've set them up fine, having no problems.

Then today i plugged in my freecom external DVD RW, installed two programs that come with it - "cineplayer" and "easy media creator"

i then restarted my computer. On reaching the desktop there was about 10-15 seconds before the computer went into reboot. This constant reboot then went onto a loop. Sometimes it rebooted at the welcome screen, sometimes it rebooted after being on the desktop for a couple of seconds. It seemed random.

I tried safe mode: straight into the reboot loop again.

I cleaned for dust inside (thinking overheating of motherboard or something i read somewhere)

then i did a reboot to a "previous working condition" thingy.

The computer started up but with that old error message "your system just recoverd from a serious error". It keeps coming up and up and up all the time.

i uninstalled both bundled software programs from my computer. I havn't uninstalled the dvd driver which was automatically installed. Some help with that would be great.

i'm obviously a bit worried about this error though now. The "more information" section of the error window goes on to give these numbers:

BCCode: 1000007f BCP1:00000008 BCP2:80042000

would it be good to follow the help here: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;316434

thanks for any help
makihara

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Did this rebooting loop start only after you installed those two programs?

XP System Restore normally takes a snapshot prior to installing programs.

Boot into safe mode, and run System Restore. Pick a restore point prior to when you started having problems.

As for the link, I would try a System Restore before messing with MS troubleshooting guides.

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok i did a sytem restore to just before i installed the two programs.
Everything was going fine. System restore was gathering files. Then the Computer restarted but it went into the loop again.
I tried booting to last known configuration and it still loops the restart.
I tried again and i got to the desktop with the error message "system recovered from serious error". The computer then when into the restart loop.

So i'm thinking that maybe this has something to do with the dvd driver or other conflicting devices?

thanks for any help
makiahara

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You don't happen to have the CDRW plugged in, do you? If you do, uplug it. Does it make a difference?

You also might want to check your bios and make sure the first boot device is your Hard drive.

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i don't have the drive plugged in no

is there a link you can give me to help with the second point regarding the BIOS.

do you think an earlier system restore would help?

thanks
makihara

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

is there a link you can give me to help with the second point regarding the BIOS

Normally, getting into bios is just a matter of continually hitting the delete key, or any one of the F1, F10, F12 keys, while your computer is booting up. Then what you do is navigate the bios with the arrow and enter keys till you find a menu that allows you to change the boot order. You must then save and exit the bios.
If you know who makes your motherboard, or the motherboard model number, I can help you look up the specifics of the bios. If the computer is an OEM... Dell, Compaq, etc... do you have a tag on the computer with a service or asset tag number?

Yes, restoring to an earlier time might not be a bad thing to consider. Restorations do not affect user data, just system files.

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
so i managed to change the boot sequence: still looping restart

I can't even boot into safe mode now.

Here's a breakdown of whats happened.

I had a looping restart. Couldn't go into safe mode. I rebooted to a previous working condition. Several error messages popped up but NO looping restart. I uninstalled the two programs associated with the external dvd player (there icons were removed from my desktop during the uninstallation).
I turned the computer off then on. Same error messages, NO looping restart.
I went into safe mode and restored to just before the installation of the two programs. System restore screen came up. Then the computer restarted and went into the loop.
I tried safe mode but the restart loop occurs again.
When i reboot to a "previous working condition" the same error messages come up followed by the looping restart. I notice also that the icons of the two programs are present on my desktop.

If you have any further help that'd be great. I was just wondering the implications of reinstalling windows or reformating or whatever you would do to start again. Would this type of problem remain?

thanks
makihara

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This is the first time you have mentioned that somehow you got the computer to stop looping. Repairing a bad system problem requires information from the user so steps can be taken. If you leave out "important" stuff like the looping restart STOPPED at some point, then it doesn't help the situation.

The fact that the looping stopped, and you got some errors, could be that your system was ok, except that there may be some start up programs that needed to be halted. We would have taken a different direction at that time.

However, the idea was to stop the looping restarts which did stop at some time, but you didn't mention it! Things seem a lot worse now! You must have restored to a state where the offending software is once again installed since you can see the program icons on the desktop. However, Safe mode is only supposed to load Windows drivers, so now it looks like Windows is somehow damaged.

Do not format your computer... you will lose all user data. You have to try a repair first. Do you have the XP CD? But first, can you tell me in "detail" what was installed into the computer, if anything, just before this happened? Anything, besides these USB devices you got for Christmas? Any hardware? Any programs?

Edited by makai, 27 December 2005 - 03:59 PM.

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Sorry, i should have clearly stated the looping stopped. The problem was with this section:

The computer started up but with that old error message "your system just recoverd from a serious error". It keeps coming up and up and up all the time.

I should of said "the computer started up with NO reboot loop but with the error message.... "For some reason i thought you'd see i didn't put "with a reboot Loop" and everything would be clear: an unfair assumption. So i'm really sorry i've made this harder. I guess i wrote too fast.

What was installed

1st - external hard drive. Driver automatically installed.
2nd - wireless mouse. Driver installed automatically (if there was one?)
3rd - I then installed a bundled software program for added features with the mouse which i uninstalled as it was pointless.
4th - webcam software, followed by driver. ** this is where i think a problem may lie** (detail covered later)
5th - external dvd. Driver automatically installed.
6th - Two bundled programs installed: cineplayer 2.2, easy media creator 7.

(N.B. the last program i installed before all this was several weeks ago - azureus client.)

webcam details

i had some problem with this device. I put in the cd, insalled the software fine. System rebooted. Screen comes up: insert webcam into usb port. So i do. However windows automatically recognises the new hardware. Meanwhile, the original webcam screen, promting insertion of the webcam does not change at all. So i decide to go through the windows screens. But it didn't work that way. I retried several times to no avail. I tried several reinstalls, reading directly from the disk, trying to install an appropiate windows driver from a list which didn't actually go through to install. There was also an option on the cd of "Just installing drivers". It copied the files over, restarted brought up the same prompt screen and then of course the windows hardware tool automatically popped up on insertion of the webcam.

In the end i downloaded the driver installation pack from the internt. This went through the reboot process as the cd did, only this time, on inserting my webcam the windows hardware tool did not popup allowing the webcam to be properly installed.
I turned my PC off and turned it on in the morning with no reboot loop. I went onto the setup of the external dvd device.

There was one last thing. When i did the system restore there was three points to restore to that i barely remember.

-to before the installation of roxio easy media creator 7
-to before the installation of roxio cineplayer 2.2
and then somewhere before the roxio software (i think) there was
-to before the installation of (something like) windows media player update (or) a windows general update.

i'm pretty sure that was the say before the setiing up of the dvd burner. Yep i'm about 90% confident that i installed a windows update after the webcam but before the dvd.

I'm unsure of what XP CD you mean. However earlier this year my hard drive frazzled. I bought a new one and completley reinstaled windows xp using a cd. If i could do that with that CD im guessing thats the CD you mean which i therfore have. So basically i'm confident i have the right CD.

I hope i have given you every detail, i can think of nothing more to add.

once again, sorry for being confusing. I know this is free and you do this with your own time which i'm very grateful for. I didn't mean in any way to be lazy with my detail and descriptions it was just an honest mistake.

thanks again
makihara

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No problems! It's just that we need details or things don't get resolved right away and can cause more problems!

You probably did this already, but if you didn't, can you disconnect all peripheral devices from the computer. This means any USB devices. You don't have to disconnect your modem/router. Please also disconnect the wireless mouse and go back to a wired mouse. If you have a wireless keyboard, go back to a wire keyboard also.

We are attempting to get you booted to Safe mode again and something is not allowing this. It looks like you have the correct XP CD so if needed, we can do a restoration install... well, actually, you will do the restoration install, but that's the last option if nothing else works.

Anyways, remove all the devices and try restarting in Safe mode. We want to run a couple of things.

If you can get to Safe Mode, go to Start/run... type in sfc /scannow. Note the space after "sfc". You may need your XP CD.

Also, go to Start/run... type in chkdsk /f . Again note the space

makihara

makihara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
The only stuff coming out my tower is a power cable, a monitor cable and a non-usb keyboard and mouse.

Still the looping restart remains even when trying safe mode.

I just wanted to state something clearly though:

I originally couldn't get into safe mode, the looping restart would occu. Then i could get into safe mode. And now i can't again.
So i would have thought i could get to safe mode again.

I previously used "boot to last known working settings" in the F8 option list. I reached the desktop with those eroor messaes popping up.(i then uninstalled the two roxio programs) I shutdown the computer and then powered up into safe mode. I restored to before the installation of the two programs. Now when i use "boot to last known working settings" i get the error messages yet the looping restart occurs.

So i basically just wanted to say that i was originally in the position where i coulnd't get into safe mode. Then something happened so that i could get into it. Is there a way to make that "something happened" happen again.

What do you think about booting but using that F8 option of "no restart onsystem failure".
Could i try that?

thanks for your help

I think it may be time to do the last option you spoke about.

makihara

Edited by makihara, 28 December 2005 - 09:31 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

What do you think about booting but using that F8 option of "no restart onsystem failure".
Could i try that?

Sure, anything you can try at this point would help.

If you can't get anything to work, go HERE and follow the repair installation procedure.

BTW, sorry it took so long for me to reply, I took a short trip.