Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Saver Problem/explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply

chimchim

chimchim

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
I like to leave my computer on so when I'm not using it I turn on the screen saver. For the past few weeks if the screen saver is on for about an hour it shuts off and goes to the desktop. This didn't use to happen.
I'm not using a new screen saver either. What good is the screen saver if it shuts it self off.
Also, what is the explorer.exe program???? Everytime I turn my computer off now it asks me to close
this program down. My computer never use to ask me to do this. Is there a way to remove this program????
I'm thinking that maybe both of these problems were caused by the latest windows update.
I don't remember it happening before this.

Advertisements

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Have you checked your screen saver settings or monitor power settings?

explorer.exe is "windows explorer" you don't want to go deleting it.. In brief it is the graphical interface used by microsoft windows operating systems allowing a user to easily control the computer..

chimchim

chimchim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Yes I have checked the screen saver settings. I don't see anything that would help me.
Also, why would my computer all of a sudden ask me to shut down the explorer.exe program
now when I turn off the computer???? It just started doing it for the past few weeks!!!!

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
it may be malware :tazz: . Have you tried using another screensaver, or do all screen savers shut down for you after a certain point?

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
when you shut down your computer you are closing all applications and processes.. If the system can't close explorer.exe automatically it will ask you to manually do it.. It's quite normal to see this and you will have to click "end task" to shut down your computer although clicking cancel might sometimes do it as well..