Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gonna build a new PC

• Please log in to reply

Vision

Vision

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well yea im a total n00b at building computers (I'm 14) but yea i still want to do it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T - Processor

ASUS P5GL-MX Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915GL Micro ATX Intel - Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100130SR Radeon X800GTO2 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Deluxe - Video Card

ASPIRE X-QPACK-AL/420 Black/Silver Aluminum MicroATX Desktop, 420W Power Supply - Computer Case

Seagate 160 GB Hard Drive
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I know a little bout computers but not as much asyou guys and well can you guys give me any tips of what to do while im building it?

Also do you think i should buy the GTO with 16 pipelines already on it or et the GTO2 and hopefully flash the bios and get 16 pipelines?

I already have a CD drive, and some RAM (which can be updated any time), and operating system and monitor! 15" LCD or 17" CRT?

the total for all of this is 591.48 since i gained 800 $ for christmas..!

Edited by Vision, 26 December 2005 - 08:12 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You need to get the x800 gto. The gto is actually a hair better than the gto2.

Keep yourself grounded, or grounded to the case when touching any electronic parts like the motherboard, cpu, memory, videocard,soundcard if you get one ect...

If your a beginner the best thing to do is get a anti static wrist band whenever you get ready to build the pc. it just clips onto the case with alligator clips and keeps your body grounded. Its still a good idea to touch the raw metal inside of the case before you touch any electronic parts and every now and then touch the metal in the case.

Vision

Vision

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
like so i wont kill myslef by burning lol?

also the GTO2 i hear can unlock and overclock to x850 XT PE....

Edited by Vision, 26 December 2005 - 08:22 PM.

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
if you plan to use your system for games i would recommend getting an AMD 64 processor (or better AMD FX but thats pretty expensive). whichever you can afford aslong as its socket 939. if you going with ATi for graphics cards the x1800 is very nice but may be out of your budget. the x850 pro is also a very nice card. have you though about Nvidia? or SLi? will you be upgrading any time soon?

:tazz: and good luck with your first build

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

like so i wont kill myslef by burning lol?

also the GTO2 i hear can unlock and overclock to x850 XT PE....

No why would you burn? You keep yourself grounded touching bare metal so you dont kill the electronic parts because everyone builds up static that can kill motherboards or any kind of electronic device of that nature.

Esd- Electro static discharge

You always build up static doing anything, just by walking. You dont want to touch a motherboard or memory or video card without grounding yourself first. (grounding means touching bare metal so you get rid of any static in your body...) If you do not get rid of the static in your body then the electronic parts are toast.

Vision

Vision

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
lol sry didnt know that

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah i would go with an AMD processor over an intel they are cheaper and better as you are 14 you probably want to play some games. You cant unlock a GTO2 as far as i know there are lots of rubbish rumours like that on most cards and it usually means attempting a bios flash and probably deep sixing the card.

Get a plain GTO, RAM what do you have it may not be compatible to put in or desirable.

Vision

Vision

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well yes I just ordered everything from Newegg!
The Specifications are in my signature!!
Question: How does a computer run without a operating system?

Another thing is how can I set the jumper settings for the Hard Drive switching them from Master to slave?

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Intel is about to release a ton of chips this January, which means prices on older processors (esp. socket 478) will drop considerably.

I'd just be patient =]

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
good choice on the AMD. you will generally see at least 10-15 more frames per second than with an equivalent P4 (3.2GHz), and the 3200 is a great overclocker; you could probably get it up to around 2.5GHz.
also good video card. i bought my 6800 GT right before the 7 series came out... :tazz:

Advertisements

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
It's all about that level two cache, baby.

I have to admit, I got to work with a Venice core, and it was beautiful. But I think the best processor I've ever worked with is a 3.8GHz Pentium IV.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
L2 cache its about the performance, L2 cache is a factor but not the only one, why on earth would you want to buy a socket 478 those chips are old and outdated and are from the generation where the AMD chips royally wupped all the intels.

The newer chips coming out are going to be a big improvement on current p4s which are sorely lacking in some areas and have that truly terrible heat output.

You can tell what is the best chip by what the super custom system builders put in the systems they make(Amari, voodoo and the ilk) and none of them use intel chips they all use the AMD x2 4800+ which also overclocks nicely like all AMD chips.

Sorry if im seeming snippy not feeling to great after last nights debaucles.

Vision

Vision

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
lol i love the fighting over AMD and Intel but no one answered my questions lol
Questions:
How does a computer run without a operating system? (Say you dont ahve an operating system what does it do)

Another thing is how can I set the jumper settings for the Hard Drive switching them from Master to slave?

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
to switch a hard drive from master to slave you remove the hard drive from your computer. on the back there will be pins with 2 plastice casing's coverin a total of 4 pins. there should be a diagram showing you which pins the covers should be on for master or slave or whatever you want. take some tweezers and remove the casing's of the ones they are on and place them back into the pattern shown on the diagram for the desired setting.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Although thats only for older IDE drives, the new SATA drive standard its all automatic, a computer doesnt really run without an OS, all you can do is start it and go to bios, other than that it wont do anything at all.