Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Install Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Alright, I don't know if it matters, but in the BIOS I changed the boot order to Hard Disk then CD-ROM. I just built this computer and the Hard Drive is set as slave and the CD Drive is master.
So I put in the installation CD and start the computer up, and it says "Disk Boot Error, Insert system disk and press enter". When i press enter it clears the screen and the same thing pops up.
If this stuff matters, it's on the screen above the message:

The slave and master cable are in the IDE drive 2, instead of 1, if that makes a difference.
PCI device listing ...
Bus No.   Device No.   Func No.   Vendor/Device   Class   Device   Class		 IRQ
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0			0				  0			 10DE 005E		 0580   Memory Controller   NA
0			1				  1			 10DE 0052		 0C05   SMBus Cntrlr		   7
0			2				  0			 10DE 005A		 0C03   USB 1.0/1.1OHCI Cntrlr 10
--OK nevermind this takes too long to type someone tell me if i need the rest--

Verifying DMI Pool data....
Disk Boot Error, Insert system disk and press enter

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
boot order should be harddrive then cd-rom

ideally, the harddrive should be the master and the cd-rom should be slave--better yet,make each a master on own controller

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
My boot order was originally hard disk then cd-rom, so I'm ok there.
I tried switching the things around to CD-Rom slave, Hard Disk master, but to do that I had to change the place the cord plugs into the mobo to IDE slot 2 (otherwise the cable wouldn't reach), and then It got stuck booting saying Detecting Array, which I assume means it was looking for IDE slot 1. Is that what's happening? Cause if so, I guess I'll just have the cd-rom duct taped inside the case to get the ribbon to reach, cause I'm at a LAN right now and I need a quick fix.
------------------------------------------
K, tried that now. It's pretty effing ghetto, got some pics I plan to post later cause it's so funny to see a com with the drive duct taped on the side. :tazz:

Even when I did that, it still doesn't work.
IDE thing is in slot 1, CD Rom is slave, Hard Drive is master.
Boot order is set to Hard Disk then CD-Rom
I get the first error (disk boot failure, insert system disc and press enter)

What the [bleep]!?!? :P :) :) :woot:

Edited by W-Unit, 26 December 2005 - 09:15 PM.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Alright, I think the problem might be that there's another thing that needs plugging in to the CD drive.
Here's a picture of what I've got plugged in now, with the empty plug I think might be needed circled in red. The plug looks like a ribbon thing would go into it, and it has 2 rows of 2 pins (4 total pins), and then these two things that look like pins with a black surrounding to the side of the main pins.

Attached Thumbnails

• one.jpg

Edited by W-Unit, 26 December 2005 - 09:36 PM.