Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HardDrive and defragging

• Please log in to reply

Leee211

Leee211

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My hard drive was acting kind of slow. So I went to defrag it. It works better now, but still is a little slow (lots of hard drive activity before the app starts) I noticed that after I defragged it, there was still a very large white (free space) gap in between two sections of (blue) contigious files.

The first quarter shows a blue section, the second quarter shows a white section, third quarter blue and the last quarter shows white (free space)

I'm wondering if there was a way to get all the contigious files in one big group instead of having them seperated by a huge gap. I think that might be part of the problem of excessive hard drive activity and searching.

This new 250 GB hard drive was copied from an older 80GB hard drive. I suspect the first section is what was copied and the second section is newer stuff.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
Leee

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Depending on what you load, you'll always see a bit of hard drive activity as something loads.

Also take note that Windows Defrag arranges files on the disk in a certain way; by putting frequently used files at the start (fastest part) of the disk and then files that aren't accessed regularly towards the end of the disk in order to speed up performance. Its for this reason that you see a big white gap on the Defrag screen.

Therefore if you often decide to fire up applications and games you haven't used for months they will run a little slower than they would otherwise if they were used daily.

As long as you aren't seeing great big chunks of red on the defrag screen, you're okay.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its not all supposed to be in one big block, you can have it like that sometimes but as long as there isnt any fragmentation its fine.

Leee211

Leee211

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay thanks for the response guys. I guess I won't worry about it. :tazz: