Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I convert FAT32 to NTFS without backing up?

• Please log in to reply

Jon DeMassey

Jon DeMassey

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanx 2 all U guys. I now have the new HDD installed, I believe as slave. I partitioned it as a PRIMARY PARTITION. But it shows as a separate drive (F) in My Computer; is that right? Or should I have partitioned it as an EXTENDED PARTITION in order fo it to be a slave drive?

Also, because the new HDD is 160GB, it is too big to be formatted to a FAT32 file system. So I had no option but to format it to NTFS.
So...... to be compatible, I have to convert the original master HDD, Samsung 36GB, which is C drive, from FAT32 to NTFS.

Can I convert C drive from FAT32 to NTFS without backing up everything on the drive?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Here you go:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

Jon DeMassey

Jon DeMassey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanx Neil

I am Windows XP version 2002, Service Pack 2. I trust I do not have 2 worry about the clusters, right?

BUT.......
Original FAT32 36GB master drive C: has only 11% space left, is this sufficient?
New NTFS 160gb slave drive F: is blank; all the files & programs are on C:.

Can I still run conversion from C: to convert C:?
Can I use F: to convert C:?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you should just be able to run the convert since you formated with windows xp originally.

11 percent, I think, is enough space...the utility will warn you if it is not.

To ensure a smoother process, you should run a chkdsk /f if you have not in a while and then a defragmentation...then convert.

Yes, you can convert from c to c

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Defrag takes 15% minimum space. He wont be able to defrag

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
...nor will he likely be able to convert, now that I am doing a little more research--it seems you need about 25 percent of the volume to be free to convert.

Looks like you will need to do some uninstalling