Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cooling advice

• Please log in to reply

dominator

dominator

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello
I just bought a new PC and it constantly overheats, for example when I play a game it can quit and Intel Desktop Utility tells me that the its an overheating problem. I dont have any coolers installed, so i am asking you people to please help me and say what is the best solution for me to do? Meaning what should i buy, like which cooler or maybe fan?
My PC:
Antec Sonata Piano Black 380w(77010)
INTEL 915GAGL,MATX,800FSB,USB 2.0,S-ATA/150,5.1 Audio,10/100LAN
3,6 GHZ P4 1024Kb cache 800MHz FSB HyperThreading
1024 MB 2KPL 512Mb Kingston PC-3200 DDRAM
200 GB, S-ATA/150 7200RPM/8Mb

Thank you so much for your help and time!!!

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
do you have any place on your case to add case fan side,top,front back?
:tazz:

alphaethan

alphaethan

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I have the same case, but AMD system. Your P4 system is much higher spec than mine, at least processor wise. I have the same amount of RAM, and less advanced graphics card. I did not experience an overheating problem until I reapplied my thermal compound that goes inbetween the processor and the heatsink and fan. Mine never shuts down, only the temp is a little higher than usual.

You may want to put a new fan on the front of the hard drive rack, there can be another 120mm fan in addition to the Antec fan that came with the case. I bought a Vantec Stealth 120mm, and it cools the system down more. Yes, there is a place to put another 120mm fan in that case, just look for the holes on the hard drive rack side that is facing the motherboard.

Also, changing to a new heatsink and fan for your processor maybe a good idea. Usually stock heatsink and fan that comes with the processor don't work all that well. Buy a Zalman heatsink and fan, it will cool it down more.

Again, I don't know what specs you running when you are playing games, but it sounds like it's definitely too hot. You need to cool it down before permanent damage to the processor. Oh, P4 processor should actually run cooler than AMD:)

Good Luck

Alphaethan