Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot access or delete directory

• Please log in to reply

JoeD562

JoeD562

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I'm running XP Professional and cannot access a sub-directory on an external hard drive. When I click on the directory in Windows Explorer I get the message - "<filename> refers to a location that is unavailable. . ." I'm unable to view or delete the directory. I've run chkdsk with no success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Joe

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is it really <filename>....or are you just not telling us the name of the filename.

Can you move or copy the directory to the other drive?

Is your desire to gain access to what is in there, or do you just want to delete it?

JoeD562

JoeD562

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry, the directory is "F:\My Music\Johnny Mathis\Christmas Is.." It was automatically created when I ripped a Music CD using Musicmatch but Musicmatch crashed in the process causing the problem. I would like to just delete the directory and start the rip over. Thanks.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
then it is not there. The comp was crashed before it even complete the tasks. ignor it and run the program again and the computer will tell you if the directory is exist and it will ask you what to do if there is a problem. Personally , I don't think it is big deal but I would try to run it with the internal drive first to make sure that you don't have any problem with the program. the resean is if you have bad communication between your comp and the external,expecially cheap usb drive or cable, you could lost your opperating system and some time you may have to reinstal the whole thing. XP pro is very bad for that. Not like the 98 or ME, they don't care. The XP if there some thing makes it thinks it not finish it wll try to finish, if it thinks some thing is there it will look for it...... Stupid eh? This stupid crap took me months to figure out.
good luck.