Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeating bootup/bios problem.

• Please log in to reply

nogoodreason

nogoodreason

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi guys. I've seen a few mildly similar problems on here, but nothing quite as annoying as what I'm going through so thought I'd ask for some charity (seeing as it's Christmas and all...)

Back in September I built the following build:
An8 SLi (Fatal1ty) mobo (with Guru)
AMD (Venice) Athlon 64 3200+
XFX Nvidia Geforce 256mb 7800GTX (x1)
2 gigs (2x 1 gig) Corsair value RAM
- which for some reason wouldn't boot in dual mode
Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA/150 8MB Cache Hard disks (x2)
LG GSA4163 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE
Pioneer Dvr-109 DVD RW
Floppy drive w/multi-card reader
600w PSU (ebuyer.co.uk)

I have not overclocked or modded anything.

I soon discovered that every time I tinker around inside it (seemingly regardless of whether it's to adjust the SLI switch card or to install the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS I just got for Xmas) it performs the following symptoms:

* System turns on but doesn't speak to monitor
* I hit CMOS and monitor comes on
* When prompted, I either go into BIOS, load settings, save and exit, and then the monitor goes off again and nothing happens

or

* I ignore the prompt, hit F1 then F8 and get to the Windows boot option screen.

In the past, I've been able to open in Safe Mode, revert to a system restore point, backup C: then format and reinstall Windows. ((hardly solving the problem, I know. But at least it got my computer working))

Only this time I've removed the on-board audiomax card and inserted the new X-Fi Fatal1ty Card into a PCI slot. Gone to boot up and had the same problem yet again - only this time I can't even open in safe mode! It just gives me a black screen (for windows) and freezes on the list of drivers (for safe mode).

Meaning I'm stuck at the BIOS screen with no idea what to do next!

Incidentally: Something which has never happened before is I'm unable to set the computer clock or year in BIOS. As owners of the AN8-SLI will know, the PCI slots are very close to the BIOS and I was wondering whether this could be affecting it, or a sign that it's damaged or something?

Any thoughts, help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated as I don't have a clue what to do or try next.

Also, just for the record, I'm in the UK not the US. Dunno if this would affect anything hardware-wise.

~ Dan

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

That is very strange behavior, sounds like unstable bios to me, I would flash to the latest version
You may also want to contact Abit and see what they have to say

Rick

nogoodreason

nogoodreason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I flashed the BIOS to the latest version (after I managed to 'kinda' get into Windows under Last Good Configuration) and that fixed the clock and made things run a bit better. But things still didn't feel right, so I cheated and nuked C:

But I'll post if any more problems occur. I removed the audiomax card before reinstalling windows so now there's no risk of IRQ conflicts or anything with soundcards... hopefully the problem's fixed, but I bet as soon as I try running my ram in dual mode something will bugger up again. :tazz:

Still, I've never known a BIOS to just go "there's an upgrade available, so I think I'll die" before. Pretty odd behaviour...

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yeah but the BIOS can become corrupted

Edited by rumble291, 28 December 2005 - 03:04 PM.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I had a problem with the BIOS on my motherboard. The BIOS would stop as soon as it comes up with the processor Infomation. I installed the updated BIOS and its working fine.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I think you'll be ok now and I would try the ram in duel channel. Not only can bios be corrupt but it could also be unstable or don't work well with something in your system. Abit makes very good boards and they back them up with a good warranty that why I said about contacting them but none the less all manufactuers in order to stay competive often don't test the bios enough thats why you see all the upgrades and versions put out to fix compatability bugs. In general I don't recommend upgrading bios to often unless there are unexpained things that can't be pinpointed such as yours. Another thing the latest and greatest bios is not always the best I already had to flash back to a previous version to straightn things out.

Goodluck

Rick