Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Desktop! New p.c. Broken! Please Help! Read Please&#

• Please log in to reply

Dishy999

Dishy999

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I just bought a new mouse and monitor, I plugged them in and they worked fine. I had to restart the p.c. for the mouse "so these changes to take effect" so I did. I turned it back on, the p.c. loaded fine, the XP blue load bars loaded up fine, the XP tune played. But the desktop is blank! Its just black, nothing on it! I spent loads of money for it to realise it suddenly dosen't work! And I'm pretty sure it has no viruses. Help will be appreciated! Thanks! :tazz:

Edited by Dishy999, 27 December 2005 - 04:13 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Press the ctrl + alt + delete keys together to get task manager

Click file then new task, type explorer.exe and press enter

You should then be able to reboot and Windows shuld load the desktop, if not, retrace the above then

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

This is for a blank desktop, which would have the wallpaper and no icons, which is different to it stopping at a black screen

Dishy999

Dishy999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I can't ctrl + alt + delete, the task manager dosen't come up? What should I do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for a recent system checkpoint to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

Dishy999

Dishy999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I can't logon to any user. When I try safe mode, it goes onto the "black screen" again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Dishy999

Dishy999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks alot, but how do I acess all of these links on my computer when it has a black screen??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The links are for guides to repairing, which you can access with the computer you are posting from

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Well, seeing as though you are answering all Keith's posts thus far, I have to assume you are on a system that doesn't have a blank screen..

So, common sense would say to "go to the links Keith provided and print out the instructions".. :tazz:

Murray

Dishy999

Dishy999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok but, can one of you give me a reason why this "blank screen" problem started? Thanks.