Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stupid newbie question about pcmcia slot ! !

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Just got a laptop at christmas and was wondering what the pcmcia slot is for ????
What is it designed to take??? What sort of external card/device can go into it ???
Never come across it before with my desktop.
cheers,,and advanced apologies for the stupid question. !

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

pcmcia slots are for adding additional hardware to your laptop. The most common pcmcia cards are wireless adapters, network cards, modems, usb controllers, firewire controllers etc.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi,
Thanks for that,,,
still a little puzzled though ????
The laptop alredy has 4 usb, 2 firewire, modem socket, s-vid, 2nd monitor slot, wi/fi is already onboard,
puzzled at what else you could possibly need it for ??
Could it be used as a slot for a second hardrive ????

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Think about it this way, on desktop machines you can add additional boards (PCI, ISA, EISA, etc.), so this is the way to add things on a laptop computer.

I have not heard of an adapter to allow for an additional disk using a pcmcia card, it could be possible. You can attach a disk using firewire or USB.

It is for future options :-).

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There are actually hard drives that go into the PCMCIA slots, but their size is limited... around 5gbs... so not really worth the trouble. You could buy some used ones on ebay.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Only reason i asked about 2nd hardrive is that i have a bit of a dilema since getting the laptop.
Will try not to drag this out.,,,,,,
My desktop has 2 hardrives giving me 200gb,,i have an 80 gig external drive which i use to keep backups of my music files etc, etc,,,, but the desktop has only got a 1.4ghz cpu. The external drive is Simply a secure back up so i dont lose all my music if a drive dies or gets corrupted.
I use recording software called cubase.
I bought the laptop for sole use of cubase( 3800+ AMD 64bit , 80gig hdd) and i planned to optimize xp pro to suit the software.
BUT,,,, i like the laptop so much that i want to use it for both internet use, cubase, and file storage.
Problem is,, i have 40gig of music already which expands by a gig or two a month.
If i transfer the 40 gig of music onto the laptop, use it for internet, and cubase, then i am not going to have much space on the laptops 80gig hdd.
I thought about dual booting 40/40,, seems silly to do that with so little space left.
Also thought about getting another laptop drive and simply swapping them over whenever i want to play with cubase for the day, that way i could optimize the cubase drive to suit the program.
Just in a bit of a muddle now that i have the laptop.
If i could find a sensible way around it, i would strip down my desktop and sell it off( would get more for the parts than i would for the whole ), and just use the laptop.
Space saving was an issue, as my missus wouldnt let me get another desktop to dedicate to cubase.
SORRY, for ranting on,,, thats as simple as i can get it,,,,
Cheers,,kev.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you not have a CD or DVD rewriter at all? It would seem that the obviously solution would be to transfer all your music to disc instead of storing it on hard drive.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Samm,
Yes i do have cd writers, but i sold over 2000 cds on ebay as i have them all on the hardrive now, and backup copies on my external drive. Its just the way i wanted to do it. Its neater,,they are all in nice little folders, alphabetically stored,,,i like it that way.
I sold them off on ebay to raise cash to buy the £400+ cubase software, and some studio equipment,,,so all in all i am quite glad i sold them to raise the cash.
To be honest, i didnt even listen to half of my cds when they were sitting on the shelf,,but now,,,i listen to them all the time cos they are right there where i want them,,easily accessed, and play great thru my audigy platinum soundcard and surround sound speakers.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
BTW, if you sold your CDs, but kept a copy, that is illegal and copyright infringement. As I understand it, the rules are that nothing illegal is to be supported on this forum, making it not possible to assist you further.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Making copies of cd's for yourself and then selling them to someone else most certainly is NOT legal, and we will not offer you support here. :tazz:

This thread is now closed.