Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

uninstall of Explorer 6 service pack 1 KB905915

• Please log in to reply

pippi

pippi

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
I installed the latest security pack on Dec 24 and my IE6 has be acting up every since. I am running win98SE, went to control panel, add/remove programs and could not find the install. I double checked to see if the install was successful and it indicates it was. I know this is the culprit because I have not installed anything else and it has been screwed up since. How to I find the update to uninstall it? I tried to find the Hot key info with regedit but it was not there either. I did not download the IE7 beta as indicated with this issue but I have also found others who have the same porblem without the IE7 installed but they are running XP and they can access the update to delete. Any suggestions?
Thanks Pippi :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
http://www.microsoft...675/default.asp

How to uninstall
Uninstall is not available.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905915

pippi

pippi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The update I am discussing is Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB905915)
released Dec 13 2005, it is not the one released in 2001.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is from the 2nd link

[attachment=5386:attachment]

Where did you get 2001 from

pippi

pippi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I got 2001 from the web site you listed in your first post.

http://www.microsoft...675/default.asp

With further searching I see that there are many issues on this update (KB905915)
Needless to say No one mentions the solution for Win98SE. I have to admit the
support for this gets slimmer and slimmer.
Pip

pippi

pippi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I did find this page that gives more info on the issues of this problem

http://blogs.msdn.co.../16/504864.aspx

But still Win98SE is not considered directly. I will have to check out the Registry info.
Pip

pippi

pippi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Weird when I click on the first link you provided I get the info for 2001, when I click on the one I copied from your link they give me a page that apologizes that it is no longer available. Weird!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I copied Uninstall Unavailable from the link but I cannot get it either

marny

marny

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Pippi,

Just to let you know that I have had similar problems on my 98SE machine after installing KB905915 - which shows for uninstall as Q905915 alongside Internet Explorer in the Add/Remove programs list in control panel. My symptoms were an intermittent spontaneous reboot at beginning of day cold start after user logon and desktop load had settled(and only then). Also I noticed that I was having to double, double click on Int. explorer control buttons sometimes. I am using a large JPEG wall paper from internet explorer on my desktop. Since I have a fairly tight control over my configuration I have deduced after much testing that this update is likely to be the cause. I have removed it (as described above) and will update on any progress. I also run Finjan Beta first strike active X detector at start up and there are some microsoft mutterings of active X issues with this update.

Regards. Marny

pippi

pippi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OMG THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Don't know how I missed that when I was looking throught the add/remove to uninstall! You have made my New Year's Day! I should have learned from other installs to wait a while before updating so the bugs are worked out. Again Thank You. And Happy New Year!