Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP/98se Partition

• Please log in to reply

coasttech

coasttech

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I have WinXP installed and have allocated a 10 gigs for a Windows 98 Install. When installing to I need to some sort of a boot manager so I can choose what one I would like to boot into?

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well strictly speaking, you can do it manually using a utility like gdisk, on a floppy disquette...

But traditionally you want a boot menu, its just simpler.

PQ Bootmagic is my program of choice.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hello,
Well, I have 2 OS to and to manage my partitions and OSes I use Acronis Disk Director with OS Selector.
It's very useful software as it supports more then 100 OSes, could made one of OS hidden.
In one word just perfect for any act with HDD.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Just a reminder
Not a good idea. It will not run very good . there will be problem here and there. But you realy want it done, there is the one order you must follow:
-From clean HD you will have to install 98 first.
-Get all the program you need to run on your 98installed.
-Install XP.
and you are on your way. Doing this, every time you turn your computer on it will automatically give you the choices to which Opperating system you want in so many seconds before it boot up the XP. And the length of waiting time you can change in XP. This is microsoft build in option.
If you do it backward you will make a mess, I mean big mess.
Hope you know this already or at least it is not too late.
Hapy new year.

Edited by mcpscomp, 29 December 2005 - 10:24 AM.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
That's very, VERY true. Forgot about that.

But when I build myself a dual-boot, i just set the OS's that are already installed as HIDDEN partitions, so that my install of the next OS like if there was none other on the computer...

Afterwards I come in, and install a bootloader. This way, no screw ups, and you can simply format out one of the OS's, with no damage or risk to the other OS's.

Happy new year's :tazz:

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
It 's good to get into this with you. This is some thing I don't know. Can you please explain about the hidden patition Idea and how to abit more detail. Learning is my main purpose of being here. NO hurry but please if you have some spare time.
Thanks.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well, basically, a hidden partition cannot be seen by windows. If you install a second OS, but the primary one has it's partition hidden, windows setup does not see the primary OS, and installs the second OS as a standalone.

After that, it's just a question of installing a bootloader, such as PQ Boot Magic.

As for actually making a partition hidden or not, PQ Partition Magic can do this.

There is also the GDISK dos utility from symantec, which has the ability to create, delete, hide, unhide, set active, and remove active for any partition.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Thanks You.