Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winfix malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply

heartinn

heartinn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A Microsoft Explorer Popup suggested I should download Winfixer Free of Charge and said (recommended), so I did. It appears to be causing our start up problems as we can not access our regular files until it has run each day, then it suggests we have 10 malfundtions and should purchase this software for $49.95

I am concerned that I may be purchasing some thing that 1 interferes with our startup and may have to be deleted

2 I have Panada which for some reason has its virus detector turned off and I can not seem to get it back online, and the only thing I have downloaded is this Winfixer. Is it causing the problem?

3 says its free but isn't there fore credibility is already suspect

4 May be spyware in itself

Meanwhile I have run across Spyware Doctor promoted on this forum and wonder if this is just another of the millions of things out there to buy, but don't really need, particularly if I already have Panda.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo. Winfixer is actually a BAD program. It is a Malware infection, and the popup you got telling you to download it was a bad popup. :tazz:

Please post a HIjackThis log in our Malware Removal forum, and one of our staff members will be glad to help you clean your machine of this nasty infection.

Download HijackThis

Save HijackThis in its own folder (i.e. C:\HJT). DO NOT run it from within a zip manager (Winzip), as no backups will be saved.

To start the scan, Click the Scan button on the left. The Scan Button has a new Caption. Save Log. Click the Save Log button to create a file named Hijackthis.log. A dialog box will pop up. Use it to select the location where you will save the log. Close the program.

Return to the Forum and create a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum. Open the Log in Notepad. Highlight the entire contents. Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post, and wait for a Staff member to reply to your topic to help you. :)

Also...I don't recommend installing ANY other software at this point. Once your Helper has gotten you cleaned up, they will recommend programs to help KEEP you clean...FREE programs, that are legitimate! :)