Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High cpu usage

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I have a window xp home edition toshiba satellite a25- s279 computer with 1 GB of phisical memory. I have an Intel Pentium 4 cpu 2.8 GHz processor. Every time that I open an application my cpu shoots to 100% and then stays around 50%. This seems to be causing my computer to run slower than it used to. I have scanned my computer with all of the recommended items on the malware forum, So I am at a loss as to what to do. Can anyone help me with this annoying problem before I try to format my hard drive?
Thanks,
T-man

Edited by t-man, 27 December 2005 - 11:26 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Process Tamer from my signature, it will balance out CPU usage, you can set it with the slider and trigger settings to how active you want it to be

[attachment=5389:attachment]

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I downloaded the process tamer but still when ever I open any program my cpu is at 100%.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I tried formatting my computer and it is running faster but it still has very high cpu usage when I open almost any program. Does anyone have any idea as to how to fix this?
Thanks,
T-Man