Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply

relyea70

relyea70

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
I have a presario 5000T-5bwm2a
Windows ME (YUCK!)
192RAM
700 MHZ CELERON
APproximately 65 GIG on 2 hard drives.

My pc started freezing up recently whenever I went to any site that used flash media on their pages. Now it seems to be locking up on any site with animation or if i try to navigate to other pages or click on links.
I have tried different versions of flash players with no success. I have factory restored the system that didn't work, I even tried factory restoreing with win 98 SE os factore restore cds.
I have fdisked and completely reformatted (fdiskmbr-deleted partitions-created and formatted the new one) my hard drives and using factory restore cds (win 98 SE & Winme) but the pc still has the same problem and often times freezes, first thing after clean install on windows/pc registration screen.

I have even flashed the bios.

I know I need a new Pc but can't afford one right now and I believe it is a motherboard and/or video chip and/or processor issue.
Anyone have any advice on what i can do to resolve this constant freezeing/locking up crud as it is becomeing almost impossible to use the machine.
Thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Could be a heat issue, open the case and clean the inside especially the heatsink that sits on the cpu, use a can of compressed air. Do not invert the can this will cause liquid to come out and can be harmfull to parts.

Instead put the pc on the edge of a table this will allow you to raise and lower the can without turning it on its side.

If that fails to help try

memtest86 and report back what it finds, let memtest run for atleast 2 hours

Rick

relyea70

relyea70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have tried everything you mentioned, my memory tests fine, as does my hard drive, I even took the heatsink of the cpu, it was dirty and I cleaned it but am still having the same prob.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well thats the simple stuff, it could be the psu,cpu or motherboard as you mentioned and are aware,
Trying another psu is the next step and a problem, because it is a compaq you have to use one of there psu's anything else won't connect to the motherboard