Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two serial devices on one port

• Please log in to reply

Maineiac

Maineiac

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm running two computers with WIN98, and the older one uses a serial mouse. I just acquired a Miracle Piano Teaching System, which includes a DB25-to-DB9 cable, for connecting to a mouse port.
When the piano keyboard is connected to the computer, I can navigate around with just my computer keyboard, but it would be way easier with the mouse attached. Until my MIDI cable (two DIN5-to-joystick) arrives, could I plug both the mouse and the Miracle cable into the same port via a wye connector?

I recently tried to connect a "plain" PS2 mouse and a PS2 finger mouse into my other computer via a Y-connector (looks like this: <http://www.cyberguys...ages/P617A.jpg>), but it doesn't seem to recognize either of them when they're connected that way. I suspect it wants something a little fancier, like this: <http://www.cyberguys...ges/P118A.jpg>.

I'm hoping serial devices aren't so picky.
Thanks for any advice.

--
Doug

Advertisements

bsharke

bsharke

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I believe the original cable you have is one that was used for a Mac Miracle Piano System. I too had that same cable but my granddaugter broke one of the pins on it and no longer functions. I have tried other cables without success on my Mac. I then have purchased Miracle software for the PC after getting a pc cable but still either get the music but no interaction or the interaction but no sound. I have not a clue. I know the software works because someone contacted me through the forum and wanted to know if I could make copies for his PC and I did and he emailed me back that it worked fine. He did not run it through midi ports but with a standard pc serial cable. Would you let me know if you ever got yours up and running. I have had this for years and use to run it on an old Mac Performa but cannot now. Even bought an old performa but cannot use it since I found the problem with pin on the cable. Any repy will be greatly appreciated. Let me know if your software works if not I might be able to help you there.

Thanks

Maineiac

Maineiac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Any repy will be greatly appreciated.  Let me know if your software works if not I might be able to help you there.

View Post

I think I'm in pretty good shape, software-wise, since I purchased a CD via eBay. It has DOS and Windows versions, plus a whole bunch of other useful stuff.
The serial Miracle Cable works okay on my older PC, which I decided to use because it has a serial port (DB9) versus the PS/2 on the new machine I put together. My question was really about whether I could use both the mouse and Miracle Cable on the same port, at the same time, via a wye adapter (splitter). It would be way more convenient to be able to use the mouse to navigate around within the program, but it's not critical. (I relearned keyboard navigation quicker than I thought I would.) I haven't found a serial splitter yet, anyway. But I just acuired a DB9-to-joystick adapter, and might try that on the old machine. I also have a MIDI cable (two DIN5-to-joystick), but I'm still working on getting all the configurations right to be able to use that.

In your case, I think you might want to build (or buy) a replacement cable. NOTE: The Miracle Cables apparently had some oddball pinouts. Go here <http://pianoeducatio.../pnompfaq.html> for more information on correct wiring for one. You can also post a question to Dr. John Zeigler, Editor of the Piano Education Page, and he will probably know the answer.
Play on! :tazz:

--
Doug

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I am going to guess the Y splitter is not going to work but I ain't sure so give it a try, Radio Shack would be a place to look.

Could you use a usb mouse and leave the serial open for your other cable

Rick

Maineiac

Maineiac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I am going to guess the Y splitter is not going to work but I ain't sure so give it a try, Radio Shack would be a place to look.

The one dealer at the computer show I went to on 02/26, that is, the one dealer who knew what I was talking about, had some at his shop but didn't bring any to the show. I know PS/2 devices can be used on a splitter, but it has to be more than a simple wye connector; there has to be some internal switching capability. For some reason, I didn't think serial devices were that picky, but if they are, there probably isn't anything available commercially for that.

Could you use a usb mouse and leave the serial open for your other cable

No, that machine is "pre-USB," although its current motherboard has a three-pin tap on it for a PS/2 mouse, but no external port for same (yet).
It'll probably be a couple of days until I feel well enough to tangle with it again, and anyway, I still need to make one more attempt to cram some more RAM into it before I button it back up again.
Y'know, if any of this was too easy, we wouldn't think it was so much fun. :tazz: