Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremely annoying random reboots

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi everyone I'm sorry I have to repost this but the problem's getting quite frequent and my post is falling far behind pages so...

Check out the captured image, that's what I've got from under "Control Panel-Adminstrative Tools-Event Viewer-System", the same problem has been causing me random reboots over and over again (eg. sometimes even when I was typing a long document without the chance even to save what I'd done).

Plz help! I appreciate it

[attachment=5391:attachment]

Edited by chinofeliz, 28 December 2005 - 05:03 AM.

Advertisements

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
It sounds like a virus. Go here and follow the instructions.

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Could also be having some kind of heat and/or power issues. There has been a bunch of faulty capacitors recalled from various manufactures including Dell so you could check your capicitors for problems. Here is some more info about it.

http://www.auroracom..._capacitors.htm

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanx doorslam for the reply but no, have checked out and been monitoring the problem(s) you've suggested and everything's normal.

What is this "iviVD" thingy anyway? Anyone's got any clue? It's the problem that's been causing every single reboot.

It's getting harder and harder now, I think it's rebooting more frequent now. Anyone knows how to somehow disable this "service/whatever"?

If not, plz help. Cheers

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I think iviVD is relating to a hdd or some kind of device you have connected. Do you have a scsi hdd or tape drive connected to your PC?

I found the following relating to your error.

In most cases, these messages are being posted due to hardware problems with either the controller or, more likely, a device that is attached to the controller in question. The hardware problems can be associated with poor cabling, incorrect termination or transfer rate settings, lazy or slow device responses to relinquish the SCSI bus or a faulty device. See EventID 9 from source adpu160m for more details on this event.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I haven't connected any device to the computer for a while now. Nope, no scsi hdd or tape drive connected either :tazz:...

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Maybe try running check disk to see if you have any errors on your hdd.

go to Start > Run > type "chkdsk /f" without quotes. When it asks if you want to have it check when the computer restarts, type "y" then enter.

Restart your computer and chkdsk will run.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
And I think this might be useful -

I've got Ad-Watch running on the computer. Among one of the functions is the registry-monitoring function - it'd ask you if any change was to be made to the registry.

Recently every time I log on there'd be an Ad-Watch popup asking me whether I want to DELETE a registry key. The captured image is attached (the greyish highlight area states the info on the change, the path is incomplete so I can't judge which program sent it).

Thanks everyone

[attachment=5407:attachment]

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
thanx doorslam I'll try check disk now :tazz:
will be back soon

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ANY USB devices? Any thing like a virtual disk drive (daemon tools, virtual drive, etc)

Advertisements

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Done check disk; I've got a webcam that I plug into USB often for video chatting with family but have been having this webcam from the very start and never caused any problem. Other than that, nope, nothing attached to the computer...

So this "iviVD" could be a range of things?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it is typically a storage device....you did not mention if you have any virtual drive programs

Also, SATA drives sometimes appear as scsi drives.

what can you tell us about system/motherboard?

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Pardon my ignorance but what is a virtual drive programs? I don't think I have got any, although do you count Intervideo DVD Copy 4.05 as one? That's the only major application I installed recently.

I know it sounds ridiculous but I could only tell you I'm running Windows XP Professional SP2, nothing about motherboard (but then again it's not had problems like rebooting before).

I appreciate your guys' help. Thanx

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Do you get a blue screen before your computer reboots?

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
No, no bluescreen or any warning. The screen just blacks out and here goes the reboot. And you know how there's usually a check disk or something like that if you reboot the computer by mistake/illegally, there's nothing like that in this case.

I thought the random reboots slowed down a bit but this morning there was another one. Still caused by "iviVD".

Thanks guys.