Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremely annoying random reboots

• Please log in to reply

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Did the reboots slow down after the chkdsk?

Also, you don't see any other errors in Event Viewer relating to disks or anything?

Advertisements

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I think it has slowed down after check disk, but I'm not 100% sure thou cos Automatic Update caused me random reboots before and so I tried this time by disabling some other automatic update services again (just trying hard to solve the problem).

And yeah, in Event Viewer, "iviVD" is the ONLY error that keeps occuring and causing reboots.

Thanx

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I would try these two things.

1) Run System File Checker. Go to Start > Run > type "sfc /scannow" without quotes. Push Enter, you will need your Windows XP CD. This will scan for important windows components and replace them if necessary.

2) I would run check disk again. Go to Run > type "chkdsk /f". When check disk is running, watch it and see if it tells you if there are any errors on your disk.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanx Doorslam, I'll try these two things now :tazz: Happy New Year

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Happy New Year!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Intervideo DVD Copy 4.05

looks an awful lot like iviVD is coming from that....iviVD could mean InterVIdio Virtual Device

I'd bet you money that if you uninstall this, it will work. I am unfamiliar with the software, but did it create an additional drive in MY COMPUTER?

Even if it did not, it might accomplish the process of a dvd copy by writing the dvd image to a virtual drive in the background, then from the virtual drive back to a blank disk

I would uninstall DVD Copy and see if the behavior changes. I'd bet money it will

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
What was I thinking! Thanx soooooo much Gerry! I haven't uninstalled it yet but your explanation totally makes sense. Not only the abbreviation also I have found an extra (virtual) drive under My Computer (must b all the excessive amount of turkey that's been blocking my sight lol :).

After I upgraded InterVideo DVD Copy 4.05 it's working slower than before the 3.0 version so maybe I should just go back to the previous version now.

Another incident that proves not all the latest versions are better :tazz:

Thanx doorslam, gerryf and everyone else! Happy New Year! :)

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi, just another question plz

I just uninstalled InterVideo DVD Copy 4.05 and came back from the reboot. When I checked under My Computer, how come the Virtual Drive is still there?

Is it necessary to keep it there and if not how do I get rid of it? Thanx