Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Upgrade Help

• Please log in to reply

basketball346

basketball346

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi all....

I am upgrading my computer and i have already assembled an ATX tower, ati 850xt platinum gfx card, 480watt PSU, 1 gig of pc2700 ram, and an extra 160 gig hdd. The problem i have now is that my CPU is too slow (old 1.8 gig P4). I am having a terrible time running FEAR and HL2.

I am looking for about a 2.8 gig P4 atleast. I cannot find anything higher because my FSB is only 533mhz. The question i have is, would it be better to get a 2.8gig P4 or a 3.2ghz Celeron processor?

I have a socket 478 slot on my mobo. I found the 2.8ghz prescott on newegg for under 200 bucks which looks like my best option. Any suggestions (outside of replacing the mobo) is welcome.

Thanks for the input.....Dunleavy

Also if you know of a good heatsink i can get for this processor please tell me or post a link. Thanks all!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Given the choice between a P4 2.8GHz & Celeron 3.2GHz, I would go for the P4.
I would strongly advise though that you check the compatibility of both cpu's on the motherboard manufacturer's website first. Just because a board clocks up to 3GHz for example, doesn't guarantee that it will support a particular 3GHz chip.
Make sure you not only know the make & model of your motherboard, but also the PCB version number (printed on the board itself) & the bios version.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yes, do not get a celeron if you are a gamer. You seem to be a higher end gamer because I saw from the video card you chose. You definately do not want a celeron. The higher ghz on the celeron dont mean jack. The cache size on the celerons really blow. In high end games that 3.2ghz celeron wont do good. They have 265KB L2 cache which is not good for gaming.

That 3.2ghz celeron is probably about even with the old 1.8 ghz pentium 4 in games. Yes because of the cache size. Not only is the cache bad the chip is really cheap thats why it is so cheap costing. You get what you pay for.

There is nothing wrong with Intel pentium 4 chips they are nice and they do everything fine.