Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Issues with XP & iPod

• Please log in to reply

rileyd99

rileyd99

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Everyone and Happy Holidays!!

I am hoping that I am putting this topic in the appropriate place, if not, I am sorry and please direct me to the right thread.

Well, I got a new iPod for Christmas and went to install the thing and start uploading some music to it. The problem is iTunes won't recognize the iPod. My computer, however, does recognize the iPod.

I went to the apple site for help and followed the entire troubleshooting steps for this problem. I installed, removed, reinstalled, etc, etc. The last step in the trouble shooting is to "disable some items with the System Configuration Utility in Windows XP." I am not sure how to do this or what to disable. Help here is appreciated.

Also, the next step, if that doesnt work, is to check if there is some other system issue with my laptop. Anyone have any problems like this before or hear something like this happening? What should I do??

Thanks,

Ryan

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
msconfig
<enter>

What did the apple site suggest you should disable?

rileyd99

rileyd99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

thanks for the fast reply. the directions say to disable 'iTunesHelper' and 'qttask' and then to 'hide all microsoft services'

Ryan

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the first two are under STARTUP tab, the last is a check box under SERVICES.

You would have to list what is there for us to suggest anything.

rileyd99

rileyd99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
00THotkey
000StTHK
PProxy
Ltmoh
Apoint
TFNF5
TFncKy
TouchED
NDSTray
TPWRTRAY
EZSP_PX
ccApp
ccRegVfy
pinger
digstream
SNDMon
RealPlay
SpySweeper
qttask
zlclient
dumprep 0 -k
iTunesHelper

Those are all that are listed under StartupTab. It says to select iTunesHelper and qttask in the list.

Then under services tab I have:
Application Layer Gateway
Application Management
ASP.NET State Service
Windows Audio
Background Intelligent T...
Computer Browser
Indexing Service
COM+ System Application
Cryptographic Services
DCOM Server Process La... Yes
DHCP Client
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
Logical Disk Manager
DNS Client
Error Reporting Service
Event Log
COM+ Event System
Fast User Switching Compatibility
Fax
Help and Support
HTTP SSL
IMAPI CD-Buringing COM Service
iPodService
Infrared Monitor
Server
Workstation
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Distributed Transaction Coordinator
Windows Installer
Net Logon
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
NT LM Security Support Provider
Removable Storage
Plug and Play
IPSEC Services
Protected Storage
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
QoS RSVP
Security Accounts Manager
Smart Card
Task Scheduler
Secondary Logon
System Event Notification
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sh...
Shell Hardware Detection
Print Spooler
System Restore Service
SSDP Discovery Service
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
Performance Logs and Alerts
Telephony
Terminal Services
Themes
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Uniterruptible Power Supply
TrueVector Internet Monitor
Volume Shadow Copy
Wiondows Time
WebClient
Windows Management Instrumentation
Portable Media Serial Number Service
WMI Performance Adapter
Security Center
Automatic Updates
Wireless Zero Configuration
Network Provisioning Service

It says to hide all microsoft services and then disable all. then select the iPodService chekcbox and restart.

I tried this and it gave me an error message about being in the administrator mode when I do this. How can I switch to admin? Do I have to be in safe mode? that is the only time i have the option of choosing the admin user option.

Ryan

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whose computer is this?

It sounds like you have a multi-user system and have been given a limited user account.

rileyd99

rileyd99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
its my computer. i had some problems a couple months back that you guys helped me to fix, but ever since i have had to log on to the computer when i turn it on...never had to do that before...and i cont figure out to change it back so that i dont have to log on each time i start up.

rileyd99

rileyd99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just checked again and I am set as the system administrator. I logged into safe mode as the actual administrator to try to get this thing working but to no avail.

Any ideas as to what I can/should do next??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Tell you what, could we back up...please download hijackthis from the link in my signature, then post a log here.

rileyd99

rileyd99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here's the log...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:41:28 PM, on 12/28/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TPWRTRAY.EXE
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFNF5.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Controls\TFncKy.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\PmProxy.exe
C:\toshiba\ivp\ism\pinger.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
C:\Program Files\ltmoh\Ltmoh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\EZSP_PX.EXE
C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\00THotkey.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.cnn.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.toshiba.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\about.htm
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tpwrtray] TPWRTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TouchED] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchED\TouchED.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFNF5] TFNF5.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TFncKy] TFncKy.exe /Type 28
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PmProxy] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\PmProxy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pinger] c:\toshiba\ivp\ism\pinger.exe /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDSTray.exe] NDSTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LtMoh] C:\Program Files\ltmoh\Ltmoh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\EZSP_PX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DIGStream] C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00THotkey] C:\WINDOWS\System32\00THotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [000StTHK] 000StTHK.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bodog Poker - {F47C1DB5-ED21-4dc1-853E-D1495792D4C5} - C:\Program Files\Bodog Poker\GameClient.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.toshiba.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.fnismls.com
O16 - DPF: {0854D220-A90A-466D-BC02-6683183802B7} (PrintPreview Class) - http://crmls.fnismls...rintControl.cab
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky...can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg...ol_v1-0-3-9.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1130289785357
O16 - DPF: {8CE3BAE6-AB66-40B6-9019-41E5282FF1E2} (QuickBooks Online Edition Utilities Class v8) - https://accounting.q....096/qboax8.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {D77EF652-9A6B-40C8-A4B9-1C0697C6CF41} (TikGames Online Control) - http://zone.msn.com/...fault/shapo.cab
O16 - DPF: {ECDEDB7F-BFD2-4010-9502-D300C3DDCD54} (SystemChecker.CheckerCtrl) - http://crmls.fnismls...stemChecker.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Hope this helps...

Ryan

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Here's the log...

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

Check the above, click the FIX button in hijackthis

Reboot

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
now reinstall the ipod software

rileyd99

rileyd99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
same thing still. the ipod is recognized by the computer but not by itunes.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you point me to the page you were looking at on the apple site?

rileyd99

rileyd99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
http://docs.info.app...ml?artnum=93716

I followed all of the steps and there were a couple links i followed as well and followed as well.

Ryan