Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't network Printer

• Please log in to reply

pecans6

pecans6

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I can't network my printer. I have a laptop with XP Professional and a desktop with XP Home. Trying to network the printer but I read that you can't network the two. Is that true?

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Shouldn't be a problem. Follow this article for info about sharing a printer.

http://www.microsoft...cutt_july2.mspx

pecans6

pecans6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
This doesn't work. I tried it before. When I try to connect to the shared printer attached to my laptop, it doesn't appear on my desktop as an option. Any suggestions?

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hrmmm... so the printer is connected to the laptop and it is shared out already? And when you try to add the printer from your desktop you cannot see it?

When you try connecting to the printer from you desktop, your laptop is on and not in hibernate or anything like that?

pecans6

pecans6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The printer is connected to the laptop and I did share it through Control Panel.

I am trying to access this printer through my desktop.

My laptop uses the wireless connection from a router on my desktop

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
When you try to access it through your desktop, the printer is always attached to the laptop and the laptop is on and not in hibernate?

Also, do you have any kind of third party firewalls or anything installed on the laptop?

Edited by Doorslam, 28 December 2005 - 03:15 PM.

pecans6

pecans6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The printer is on and the computer is on and not hiberbating.

I do have firewalls. What tells me if they are third party or not?

pecans6

pecans6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
In my firewalls, print and file sharing are allowed as exceptions.

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
hrmmm... can you try connecting the printer to the desktop, share it from the desktop, and seeing if you can connect to it from your laptop?

pecans6

pecans6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I tried attaching it and sharing from the desktop and I do see it on the laptop after I added it but says the printer isn't ready to print. The printer is on but I guess the sharing didn't work.

The software for the printer was already installed on the laptop so I presume that it appears after I click "add" since it was already installed.