Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scanner Twain problems

• Please log in to reply

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Epson 1670

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Scanner Twain Problem
5th Jan 2006

Hello – Have a tool for you that may help – This will prepare [Device Manager] to View – [Non Present Devices] –

How do I uninstal it . One of the original problems that I had was when I went to device manager to uninstall the driver, the device manager folder was empty, no devices at all, which I thought was pretty strange

EDIT – 5th Jan 2006 -

Try the following [Msconfig] Utility process – to set [Plug & Play] to start – [Should reset Folders in DM]

1-Click [Start] Button
2- Click [Run]
3- Type in the [Open Box]: msconfig

The [Microsoft System Configuration Utility] should appear –
1- Click the [Services] Tab
2- Verify that the – [Hide All Microsoft Services] – Checkbox – is [Unchecked]
3- Scroll down the [List of Services] to [Plug & Play] – Verify Box is [Checked] –

Click [OK] Box to Exit – Click [Restart PC] if asked – when Exit is done –

Here is tool to Prepare – [Device Manager] – to [View Non Present Devices]

Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – This is a 2 Step process that needs to be done only once –

Step – 1 Set [Folder Options] to [Show Hidden Files & Folders]
Step – 2 Set [Device Manager] to [Show Non Present Devices]

Step – 1 Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] – (1 time process)

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

Step – 2 Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –( 1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as required
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Post back what [Device Manager] is showing now – Or is it still showing an – [Empty Folder] – We might need to have one of our – [OS Techs] – give some help –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 05 January 2006 - 02:08 PM.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thanks so much for your help with this ongoing problem. I followed your very helpful and precise instructions and as far as I could see everything went very well. There was some confusion under step 2 item 11 "View hidden devices-indicated by faded gray print" the print was still black not faded. Everything else was fine but...when I went back into device manager the folder was still empty. I am sure I followed your step by step instructions perfectly but with no sucess. If you have any additional ideas I'd be happy to try them out.

Thanks Again

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Scanner Twain Problem (#2)
5th Jan 2006

I do not understand -

There was some confusion under step 2 item 11 "View hidden devices-indicated by faded gray print" the print was still black not faded. Everything else was fine but...when I went back into device manager the folder was still empty

Is [Device Manager] completely EMPTY/BLANK – No entries at all –

Try Restarting PC in [Safe Mode] – Then Open [Device Manager] – Is it still Blank –

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thanks so much for your help!

Yes it is completely empty,... nothing but I did go into safe mode and all the drivers appeared. I found the drivers for the epson scanner, there was also another driver there for a camera that i don't own and I am not sure what it was. I disabled it thinking this migh be a conflict. I was getting a message saying that the scanner "action could not be completed because the other program is busy choose switch to to activate the busy program and correct the problem" I tried the scanner again but no luck do I have to do a hard reboot before the disable works?

Thanks for your help

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Scanner Twain Problem (#3)
7th Jan 2006

I have to research the Epson 1670 Scanner – The Driver for the Camera is probably a [Twain Driver] also & may have been installed from [Scanner CD] – Can you scan/download photos – Direct from a camera –

Here are some Epson Links for your Scanner – Look/Browse thru these Links – but I need you to Download this FREE – Home Edition of [Everest] – From this Website - http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

This is a program that you can [Analyze] your PC with – See the Attachment for – (Which I will send later) - [Detailed Instructions on Sending Everest Reports] – I need to [Review] these Reports – To locate any Conflicts] –

We need to correct this [Conflict] so – that we can send you back to [Malware] – to Clean your PC – before we can get the Scanner working –

Your PC is still [Infected] – but is close to being [Purged] – but we may have to get [Device Manager] corrected 1st – I do not know how much [Everest] – requires from [Device Manager] Folders –

This is being a – [Catch-22] – Can you recall – what activities/Links that may have caused these problems – Any notes/clues will help both me & [Malware Tech] –

I have to take care of some other matters – I will send next Post with [Attached- Everest Instructions] – as soon as I return -

Epson 1670 Scanner Links -

(1)-Product Information-
http://www.epson.com...tegory=Products

(2)-Support
http://www.epson.com...rodoid=35836299

(3)-Documents & Manuals
http://www.epson.com...rodoid=35836299

Keep in touch – We still have a lot of work with PC
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 07 January 2006 - 11:56 AM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Jack, let me know when I need to jump in again.
cw :tazz:

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thank you for the help. I don't have a camera that i can download pictures from but becasue it is an epson driver I assume it must have come with the scanner software. I have disalbed this in any case. I have downloaded everest and will await your instructions before installing it. Just so you know I hooked the scanner up to another pc and it worked fine, I figured that it might be some kind of mechanical problem but it seems, as you suspect, to be a conflict. Another thing i noticed . I went into safe mode yesterday and looked at device manager and found all the drivers present for all the devices, thats when I disabled the camera driver but I did notice that the Epson 1670 scanner driver was gone ?( it showed up yesterday) couldn't figure out why that was.
Thanks again

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
This all I think, started when I downloaded what i thought was a streaming video, something I don't do much but I was being stupid. I opened it and my programs pest patrol and spybot caught it but . I kept getting windows opening up asking me if I wanted to allow this program and I said no but a "million " popped up and the pc just went "crazy". It was at this time I figured my pestpatrol wasn't doing its job, so I looked online at reviews and found Doctor Spyware as reccomended by PC Magazine so I tried the online scan which found something like 400 problems so I figured that I'd better bite the bullet and buy their software. The problem with the scanner started around this time, but to be honest I hadn't used it in awhile so the problem could have come before this. It has always worked seamlessly so I never gave it a second thought until this one time. One other thing I remember is that there was some kind of message that flashed accross my screen when I was in the midst of the malware/virus infection and it had something to do with "twain drivers..I think . Of couse this has a direct bearing on the current problem but I can't for the life of me remember any details. I think it was asking for a change and wanted my permission and I said yes with out thinking. I hope this is helpful.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Scanner Twain Problem (#4)
7th Jan 2006

Ok- See Attachment – It is a Detailed Instructions on Making Everest HTML Reports – Plus Detailed Instructions on How to Attach Files to your Post –

Yes – Any & all information is always useful – I need to look at these reports –[CPU] – [Motherboad] - & [Devices] – Your Scanner is USB Interface – and I need to see your [Chipset Manufacturer] – to follow up on [USB Anomalies] that certain [Chipsets] have when certain [USB Devices] are installed on same machine such as [Scanners] & [Cameras] –

The [Device Report] – will show what conflicts you might have –

1-Need to know the [Latest Status] on Scanner – [Functioning] – [Yes/No] –
2-[Device Manager] – Present [Status] – [Normal Mode] & [Safe Mode] –

When you performed this [Routine] –

Try the following [Msconfig] Utility process – to set [Plug & Play] to start –

1-Click [Start] Button
2- Click [Run]
3- Type in the [Open Box]: msconfig

The [Microsoft System Configuration Utility] should appear –
4- Click the [Services] Tab
5- Verify that the – [Hide All Microsoft Services] – Checkbox – is [Unchecked]
6- Scroll down the [List of Services] to [Plug & Play] – Verify Box is [Checked] –

Click [OK] Box to Exit – Click [Restart PC] if asked – when Exit is done –

Did you have to make any corrections – in Steps [5] – or – Step [6] – and did you [Exit] by Clicking the [OK] Box – And did you have to [Restart PC] –

Ok – Let me look at these reports & review the answers to questions presented in this Post – to see what other suggestions I can find in my [Box of Tricks] –

If it appears that Conflicts are not an Issue – Then maybe – I can turn you back to [Malware] –

Coachwife6 – [Great Work] – Let you know after – [Reviews] – See if you can see any [clues] in this –

This all I think, started when I downloaded what i thought was a streaming video, something I don't do much but I was being stupid. I opened it and my programs pest patrol and spybot caught it but . I kept getting windows opening up asking me if I wanted to allow this program and I said no but a "million " popped up and the pc just went "crazy". It was at this time I figured my pestpatrol wasn't doing its job, so I looked online at reviews and found Doctor Spyware as reccomended by PC Magazine so I tried the online scan which found something like 400 problems so I figured that I'd better bite the bullet and buy their software. The problem with the scanner started around this time, but to be honest I hadn't used it in awhile so the problem could have come before this. It has always worked seamlessly so I never gave it a second thought until this one time. One other thing I remember is that there was some kind of message that flashed accross my screen when I was in the midst of the malware/virus infection and it had something to do with "twain drivers..I think . Of couse this has a direct bearing on the current problem but I can't for the life of me remember any details. I think it was asking for a change and wanted my permission and I said yes with out thinking. I hope this is helpful.

Is – [Pest Patrol] – a [Disguised Form of Malware] – [??] –

Have a good day –
Jack123

Attached File  01_EVEREST_3F_Attatchment.doc   32KB   31 downloads

Advertisements

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Here are the reports I haven't done the msconfig suggestion yet. I will and get that info back to you in just a minute.

Thanks

Attached Files

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I went to msconfig and "hide all ms services "was unchecked and the "plug and play" box was checked.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Scanner Twain Problem (#5)
10th Jan 2006

Ok- I am going to ask for additional help from other resources – [Windows] – [Malware] & [Hardware] to nail down [Device Manager] – Is Scanner Disabled Now – Do you still have driver problem –

Just a tip – whenever you are Installing/Removing programs – you should [Disable] – all [Firewall] & [Antivirus] Programs – There is a – [General Note/Reminder] – That tells you – To Quit All Programs that are Running –

The Driver Files become corrupted – If – opened & scanned – by these programs during the Installation Process –
Hang in there – Someone will emerge with some help
Jack123

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Please give me another hijack this log. Also, please give me the start-up log and a panda scan. I think you have done all of these already. :tazz:

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Yes there still is a problem. A friend suggested I do a restore so that would give me back the original settings so I did . The first time didn't work, that is it didn't change things, so I figured I didn't go back far enough, so I did it a second time and this didn't work. So I tried one more time and the RESTORE didn't work . There was some error trying to do it. Now I get this message when I get into window "DLL may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version, filertl70.bpl error 126". The scan engine in my Norton antivirus stopped working and I totally uninstalled Spyware Doctor. My device manager is still empty but I can get to it in safe mode. I deleted the driver then did a reinstall of the scanner software, no go still the same problem says the Server is busy this action cannot be completed becasue the program is busy choose switch to to activate the other busy program and correct the problem. I also downloaded a free antivirus program call AVG antivirus so I would have some protection. There's probably more but I can't think of it right now.

Thanks for your advice and help

Attached Files