Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Locks Up in All Games

• Please log in to reply

kirkanos2882

kirkanos2882

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Computer Specifications:
2GHz Pentium 4
Intel D845EPT2 motherboard (Dell)
1GB PC2700 RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
SoundBlaster Live Value
16X Lite-On DVD-ROM
NEC 3540A DVD Burner
250W Dell PSU

My computer locks up whenever I try to play a game. When I load a game, such as NHL 2005 or Star Wars Battlefront, I notice a speckling of little dots all over the screen and other graphical distortions. Sometimes I can actually get into the game and play a little before it freezes but lately it's just been freezing during the first few load screens. When the computer crashes, it doesn't just freeze with the game on the screen. The video feed completely dies and my monitor goes into its test mode as if the computer is not turned on or the video cable is not attached.

When this first started a few months ago, a friend suggested that it might be due to overheating since I leave my computer on for extended periods of time and the inside of my case tends to get dusty. We thoroughly cleaned out any dust and even applied new heatsink grease between the graphics chip and cooling fan. The problem seemed to go away for a while but it started again recently and now it's happening all the time, not just occasionally. The computers runs everything perfectly fine except for games.

I've heard of similar problems being caused by weak power supplies. My PSU, motherboard, and CPU are all over 3 years old. They were some of the original components in a Dell Dimension 4500. I'm only playing games that I've had for a while and they always used to work without any problems. Is it possible that the power supply has weakened over time? Or is something else causing this problem?

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Have you overclocked your graphics card? as i get that when i overclock mine. I would upgrade your PSU aswell because you are running quite a few parts that need more power than your PSU is designed for.

kirkanos2882

kirkanos2882

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nothing in my computer is overclocked. The only stuff I've added recently was the NEC DVD burner and a second stick of 512MB of RAM (for a total of 1GB, 512+512). Prior to those additions I had a Sony 48x CD Burner and 768MB of RAM (512+256). I put the DVD burner and the RAM in about 6 months ago. The problems only started about 2-3 months ago.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I added up all that you posted using a power supply calculator and you are over the 250 maximum watts for the powersupply.

The problem was when you added the burner or dvd rom. You have too much stuff in that system for a rinky dinky 250 watt power supply.

And your also lucky that I know that dell requires a special power supply if you ever upgrade it.

I need to know your dell model type, like demension 2100, 4100, ect...

kirkanos2882

kirkanos2882

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 4500.

I figured it was the power supply but I was hoping it wasn't because I know you have to buy Dell-compatible power supplies to work with Dell-altered motherboards.

PC Power and Cooling makes Dell PSUs but it's annoying spending $120 for one of their 400+ watt PSUs when an Antec 550 costs less. I guess that's what happens when you buy a Dell. Of course the alternative is a lot more expensive.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah that $119 one will work.

ULTRA-QUIET DELL PSU: SILENCER® 410 DELL-2

http://www.pcpowerco...41D2&view=about

You should get it.

I found this adapter..... But I would still probably stick with the one posted above.

http://www.endpcnois...lconverter.html

Edited by jrm20, 28 December 2005 - 05:07 PM.