Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Annoying: FPS drop (1/3 of original) for months

• Please log in to reply

strong_wizard

strong_wizard

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey quick explanation of what happened:
Dungeon seige 2 didn't work.
Moron suggested a windows repair. I was even more moronic and did it, which it stuffed up.
Now -for example- half life 2, used to run at about 30/40 fps (well, it' was smooth at least and I could play the multiplayer with absolutely no lag), which was on medium. Now it runs very choppy at all specs low.

So this problem's persisted for several months and I put in a heavy effort for a couple hours a day for a week or so, but to no avail. Most seemed to have the idea that it was my motherboard's VGA drivers (Which seemed very obvious because on such maps in Wolfenstein, when I went into a room out of the higher-polied outside the fps would boost). I've tried very many drivers (VGA, 4in1) for my motherboard from ViaArena, which didn't seem to work. I had also tried different catalyst drivers, and even tried an older omega driver.

Anway, I just want to ask if anyone has any clue to what else it could be or something I've missed, because I'm desperate to get it back it's incredibly frustrating.

specs:
Windows XP Home Edition (build 2600)
1.55 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
15.66 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B [CD-ROM drive]
VL5291H XHV203T SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST340810A [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5FBA1318, rev 3.99, SMART Status: Healthy

MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD 8366-8233
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6390
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 07/04/2002

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 256 MB
Slot 'A1' has 256 M

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if what you say is true, you've installed incorrect video drivers at the very least and quite possible the wrong via 4in1 drivers.

Newer Via 4in1 drivers are not necessarily better for older chipsets...in fact, they are often worse.

download all these drivers for your motherboard
http://www.msi.com.t...p?UID=80&kind=1

Download driver cleaner
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

reboot into safe mode

uninstall everything using driver cleaner.

Reboot. Cancel any found new hardware wizards that start.

Run the driver install routines you downloaded above.

Hopefully, you haven't completely hosed this OS installation