Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

canon printer connection

• Please log in to reply

bluemac

bluemac

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Have just purchased a Dell inspiron 6000 laptop, want to connect canon bjc80 laptop printer, which is parallel connection. Have obtained new cable parallel(printer) to USB (laptop) cable is identified as one for the bjc80 okay. Printer worked fine with my old dell laptop and old time laptop both parallel connections.
Although laptop inticates the printer is there and the icon on tool bar indicates print jobs in line the printer wont actually print these. Have uninstalled driver for printer and the cable then re installed no immediate response. However I did get test messages for XP after some delay and not as a response to my request.
Wondered if the laptop being new doesnt like older mode bjc80 printers. Is there a way to get the laptop to print to the bjc80. Grateful for any help

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Canon BJC80 Laptop Printer
29th Dec 2005

Have several questions on Laptop & Printer –

New Laptop Questions -
1-Does Laptop have a Parallel Interface –
2-How many USB Ports does Laptop have –
3-Is your USB Ports contained on PCMCIA Card –
4-What [SP] – Service Pack is Installed with XP
5-Did you [Enable] USB Support in [BIOS] on Laptop

Old Laptop Questions
1-What was [Operating System] on Old Laptop
2-Did you use Parallel Printer Interface

BJC 80 Printer Questions
1-Is printer Compatible to Windows 2000 XP

I am not sure how this – [USB to Parallel Adapter] really functions – As I have not reviewed or worked with any as of now – I am guessing that the – [Adapter] – emulates the – [Parallel Port] –

I am not sure how well this – [Adapter] – is – [Accepted/Compatible] – by/to the – [Dell]- XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX-XXXX XXXX – You may have to play the – [Father Dell] – [May I] - GAME - on this Issue

Also you may have to check with Cannon on – [Windows 2000 XP Compatibility] – I think it may be ok using Parallel Interface – but not sure if USB Adapter can Emulate the Dell Version -

I do not have a [Dell Link] to offer but here are links to Cannon & USB – Parallel Adapter that should help you with this Issue -

USB to Parallel Printer Cable Adapter Link
http://sewelldirect....CFUoRGgodNhnLAg

Cannon BJC 80 Link
http://consumer.usa....30&modelid=7998

Cannon – FAQ about Windows 2000 XP Compatibility
http://consumer.usa....30&modelid=7998

Sorry that I cannot be more helpful at this time – but perhaps you could try the Parallel Interface 1st – And perhaps I can turn this over to a Tech that has Dell Experience -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 29 December 2005 - 11:51 AM.

bluemac

bluemac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for info, the computer has no parallel port and 4 usb ports
as standard not sure how these are connected. Have moved port to usb1 on tree. done nothing on bios. As laptop is new and Parallel - usb cable is indicated as for bjc80 think it is okay as in connections it is recognised. previous laptop was time with 4 usb and a parallel so [printer) worked off the parallel port onto XP. I believe that the printer will be set up to communicate with lpt1 port so cant see usb. The XP pack 2 is on this new laptop. On canon site it mentions XP x64 as something that enables the thing to work but have also been told that new laptops just dont often work with older printers.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Wow, that's an old printer (designed for win3.1 and win95)

Hi Jack asked me to stick my nose in. When you set up the printer, using the printer setup wizard, did you check USE THE FOLLOWING PORT, and then choose USB001 (virtual printer port for USB) or USB002 (virtual printer port for USB) ?

bluemac

bluemac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes GERRY have selected usb001

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Does the converter show in device manager?

start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Right click your printer under control panel > printers
choose PROPERTIES
go to PORT tab
scroll down to usb001
is enable bidirectional printing selected? Deselect it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you did load a driver for this, right?

Did you check to see if there was a newer driver from the manufacturer.