Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid System Disk

• Please log in to reply

basil

basil

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an old HP Vectra PIII 866Mhz PC, with 286Mb RAM.

I created a single partition on the hard drive,and formatted it. Went into the BIOS, and changed the boot order to CD Rom, then A then C.

The CD I have for XP is bootable, but when I reboot my system, it returns an error "Invalid System Disk".

I've tried to double check everything, but to no avail.

The only thing I notice is that the CD ROM doesn't appear in the list of IDE devices, for either secondary IDE devices.

The CD does work when you boot from a boot floppy.

ANy advice would be more than welcome.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Boot using a boot disk(Windows 95/98), select to boot the computer with CD-ROM support. When you get to the promt, then type D:, press enter. The screen should look like this:

A:\D:

From there type setup.exe, and this should start the Windows XP Setup. Hope that this helps.

basil

basil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks.
Done this under Win98 many times.

XP wouldn't allow me to do it under DOS. But I think that's normal - isn't it??

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Download the setup disk for Windows XP:

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

You need to get the correct version of the setup disks, and that is based on the version of Windows XP, and the service pack that is on the disk. Hope that this helps.