Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serenity DVD

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Okay i just bought the Serenity DVD off of ebay.com.au (as it wont be released in australia until feb), it should be delivered to me tomorrow, but im a bit worried, all over ebay there have been illegal copies, ive actually won a few auctions already only to have the sellers tell me, that they were fakes, or to have them assure me that theyre originals, despite the fact that they have no region coding, if it were any other dvd i would just give up and not own it, but im a big Joss Whedon fan and not owning this DVD, or owning an illegal copy of the DVD just will not do at all

I know how to look at the more obvious signs of a burnt dvd but some of the copies today are fakes, but look pretty authentivc, i was hoping someone here owned the dvd and wouldnt mind putting it in a dvd rom and telling me how many gig the disc is, how many files and folders, maybe even posting a screencap of the video_ts folder so i can see the file contents

any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers,
ben

Edited by BTPH, 28 December 2005 - 06:58 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most dvds now come with a hologram somewhere on the box or usually on the disc, also the kinda disk you buy in the shops are specific colours, DVDs burned commercially are plain silver but the kind you buy are purple or green etc.

There is also the extras that you can tell from they usually arent in there if its fake. Wait till you get it, its almost always fairly obvious. If you cant tell the difference it probably came from the same factory the legal ones came from so your ok itll be a good copy.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

If you cant tell the difference it probably came from the same factory the legal ones came from so your ok itll be a good copy.

huh? hows that work, why would an illegal copy come from the same factory as the legal ones, wouldnt that make it a legal copy?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The people that make most of the things we buy are from the poorer nations in Asia, they dont make alot of money so to supplement there income say the factory makes 10 000 dvds(or anyhting could be shoes for that matter) say 7500 will make their way to proper distribution the other 2500 go on the black market and make there way to markets in Dubai, singapore ..etc alot of bootlef items arent really bootleg they are the same stuff of the same quality they just havent gone through the proper channels, back of the lorry stuff basically.

So it wouldnt be legal but it would be the same as a legal copy.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
okay just got the dvd now, its a fake, also not a very good fake, they took out the bonus featuresmenu and instead just put deleted scenes in, also they took away Joss Whedons introduction and most importantly the directors commentary.

I just emailed the seller expressing my unhappiness and will hopefully get a refund and send the item back.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah thats why i dont use ebay, if there is something in particular i want i can either order it straight from america from a retailer(email them they can occasionally bend the rules and ship it for you, or even more simple get a freind or a freind of a freind or family member to buy it and send it to you.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
yeah thats probably a better idea, theres also a great aussie wesite ive been using lately, www.dvdau.com which i shouldve probably ordered this dvd from, it wouldve been about $10 more than what i paid the ebay seller but i guess it wouldve been worth it...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well yeah you pay more because its a real one.