Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Wet laptop

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop got splashed when the cat knocked over a bottle of water..... turned it upside down and shook it gently, dried it as best as I could.... And within a few mintues my DSL connection was gone. That was 24 hours ago, still no DSL but dial-up works, everything works except DSL and the 'D' key sticks a bit. Help?

• Technician
  • 1,569 posts
I could ask how your DSL connects, but in some respect that does not matter. Typically it is an ethernet connection, but it can also be a USB connection.

I suspect there is still water in the machine, although it could be that the water damaged the machine. How long did you let it dry out?

The water can get in and under things, so it is not easy to get it dry, other than a long time. One way to help is to take the case apart, but I would not really suggest that unless you know what you are doing (personally I would tend to not want to do that and I have worked with computers for years, but I hate the laptop puzzle boxes :-).

One thing that might help is to use electronic contact cleaner (available at electronics places including Rat Shack). Just make sure that the machine is completely powered down, including the battery being out and spray it where the water went in. It should not harm anything, but you never know what they used in the machine so it is not 100% safe.

The only other solution is to give it some time and keep the laptop in a dry area and open.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Wet Laptop and DSL connection
29th Dec 2005

What is DSL [Interconnection Scheme] – Do you have [DSL Modem] and [Router] –

With DSL connected – Try –

1-Resetting [DSL Modem] by Turning [Modem Power] – [Off] – and back [ON] after 10 seconds – This would [Reestablish] – PC/Router Internet Connection – The Modem – [Status Lights] – should go thru [Start Process] and finally show proper – [DSL] & [Internet] – [ON] Status – [Refer to Modem Data] –

2-If you have [Router] – Try [Soft Reset] – Press [Reset Button] – Usually located in back of [Router] – for 10 seconds – This is the [Rebooting Process] for the [Router] – [Refer to Router Data] –

3-Do you have another PC connected to Router – Or – Do you have access to a 2nd PC in order to Verify – [DSL Connection] – for proper connectivity – This would determine – [Laptop] or [DSL] – problem –

4-Make sure your – [Cat] – has enough to drink –