Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new video card error AND old card error

• Please log in to reply

hambone34

hambone34

• Pip
  • 2 posts
System specs i can remeber:
RAM: 512 MB
Power Supply: 500W (pretty sure)
Motherboard: fairly new, top of the line in 2003
I recently got a new ati x700 pro video card for christmas. i followed all the instructions in the manual and replaced my old geforce2 with it. i boot up my computer and everything is going fine. the windows screen comes up with the blue bar moving left to right for a while, then my computer restarts on its own. it does that for a while and then after a few times a new screen comes up with safe mode and return to last working state ect. so i try safe mode and a whole bunch of words go flashing across the screen, it pauses, then restarts into the cycle again.
i got fed up with that and put my old card in. i booted up and the screen stayed black and it gave one long beep followed by two short beeps. (video error im pretty sure)
BTW i read in the manual about updating drivers so an AGP card could run, i figured i already had an AGP card in and didnt need to update. (in order to post on this website i had to fire up my old computer)

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Yea thats a video error, reseat the card and try again with what ever card works. If you can get into safe mode then get http://drivercleaner.net/ and run it and remove any drivers that are related to video, then reinstall the drivers for the new card.

if you canot get into windows I would try a repair install of XP

Rick

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Also I noticed you switched from nvidia to ati. Just to make shure uninstall any of the nvidia drivers for the old video card. You should only have the new cards video drivers installed which would be for the ati.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
do that it should work.

Spartan551475

Spartan551475

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey all, umm I am in need of a new video driver, because my intel integrated one doesn't have aplha blending. This is a brand new computer and it is very fast and so far the video cards done very well, but my old computer has a radeon srry dont know what version of radeon but it was purchased at least a year ago. So what I would like to know is wether or not it would be better, to use my old video card that can do aplha blending, only when necessary(if thts possible) or just install the old one and not use the new one at all.
thanks for your time
Mike

hambone34

hambone34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
1ive tried reinserting it a few times already, and same beeping noise happened, is there something else i could do?
2yes i uninstalled the old nvidia drivers, was i supposed to install the ati drivers before switching cards?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I don't know what else you can do, does the beeping continue with both cards? If so the slot maybe damaged its either that or 2 bad video cards.

When you first installed the ati card the system tried to boot but was unable to probably because of a driver issue, in other words windows got messed up. This means that card was working.

Are you taking precautions for static electricity?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Are you absolutely certain you have an agp x700 pro?

98 percent of these comes as pci-express---and no way a motherboard that was made in 2003 has a pci-express slot

To the best of my knowledge, the ONLY x700 pro card in agp comes straight from ATI.